Literary magazine features local writers, artists

Students in creative writing classes might be familiar with Indiana Review, a non-profit arts magazine featuring the talents of artists from Bloomington and the surrounding area through fiction and nonfiction stories, as well as poems, interviews and reviews.\nMany outstanding writers, such as Charles Johnson, have gotten their start through Indiana Review. While this magazine might not be widely known on campus, it is known in many other parts of the country. \n"Many major university libraries subscribe to (Indiana Review)," said Danit Brown, the magazine's editor. \nIndiana Review is the only magazine of its stature to be run completely by graduate students and undergraduate interns.\nThe magazine celebrated its 25th anniversary this past summer. Its May issue was a celebration of how far it has come and how much it has accomplished, business manager Lea-Ann Bigelow said.\nIn the last 25 years, the magazine has been given numerous awards, including being recognized as one of the top 50 fiction markets by Writer's Digest. In 1996, it was selected as the first place winner of the American Literary Magazine Award.\nIndiana Review comes out twice a year in November and May, and every six months Indiana Review staff members' e-mail and mail boxes are flooded with submissions. Staff members receive somewhere between 6,000 and 7,000 submissions from Indiana residents, although students and faculty submissions are not accepted. The magazine ultimately ends up accepting less than 1 percent. \nBloomington resident Bridget Hardy submitted a short story for the 25th anniversary issue. \n"To have a real-life journal, and a good journal at that, say they think you're worthy is great," she said. "Psychologically, it has done me a world of good."\nBigelow said she thinks the magazine is unique.\n"(It's) not just a magazine you would find at a supermarket," she said. "It has a specialized profile."\nBigelow said she is looking forward to the May 2004 issue, called "Writing Between Cultures." \n"It is something that explores the in-betweens, exploring identities between class, gender, race, and sexuality," Brown said. "It will continue in the tradition of presenting a lot of diverse voices." \nUntil the next issue comes out, the magazine plans to continue its 25th anniversary celebration by taking part in the Poetry Series and open-mike at the Runcible Spoon, 412 E. Sixth St. The event takes place on the fourth Friday of every month. Those wishing to be a part of the open-mike series need to arrive at 6:50 p.m. to sign up; the readings will begin at 7 p.m.\nStudents who are interested in owning a copy of the magazine can purchase one at Bookcorner, on the corner of Kirkwood and Walnut, Barnes and Noble or Borders. For more information, visit www.indiana.edu/~inreview/ or contact inreview@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact staff writer Lizzy Emanuel at eemanuel@indiana.edu.