Festival treats guests to amusement

Event focuses on different traditions of Halloween and fun

Children and adults attended the Halloween Family Fun Festival from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday at the Mathers Museum to celebrate Halloween activities.\nAge had no bearing on who dressed up. Not only were the coordinators of the festival dressed, but entire families came suited in costumes as well. About 35 families attended the event at 416 N. Indiana Ave.\nHalloween décor and stickers, markers and paper were set up on tables for those in attendance to put their creative minds to work on various crafts. Children of all ages -- from 11 months to 12 years -- made their decorations until it was story time.\nFor 15 minutes, age-appropriate Halloween myths were told so as not to scare any of the children. The children sat attentively as a costumed witch told festive stories.\nPrincesses, ballerinas and witches wandered from room to room making their crafts. \nBloomington resident Sarah Phillips said the festival was "fantastic" because it included activities for children of all ages.\n"(My son) is only two-and-a-half, and there are plenty of things for him to do," she said.\nOne of the rooms was set up with a cultural theme, made up of tables with activities representing different places and civilizations around the world and what they do to celebrate Halloween. Two tables were set up to represent Spanish-speaking countries. Activities at these tables included the "Day of the Dead" celebration, where the children could draw pictures of family, flowers and tombstones as well as a table to make calaveras, or skeletons, out of dried pasta. \nAt another table there was Adinka printing for the children, where they could pick different symbols and dip them in paint to stamp designs. Last but not least, there was a table for Japanese dancing.\nBloomington resident Ruth Saver said she comes every year just to see the children's costumes and the activities in which they participate. \n"It is very good for kids because they have activities to do that don't cost any money that they can enjoy," she said.\nOther activities included face painting, temporary tattoos, Halloween jewelry and candy bags for children.\nThe festival ended with a parade, as its coordinators played musical instruments and marched with the children.\nFrom behind the peeking eyes of his mummy costume, 12-year-old Bloomington resident Preston Whittenberger proudly said he made his own costume. Whittenberger said he would come back again next year.\n"I had fun making things," he said. "I made a hat, had my face painted and got a goody bag."\nMany children left the festival costumed and smiling with bags of candy, pumpkin rings and decorations in hand.\nSarah Crague, a senior at IU who helped with the event, said she thinks the event is a great idea and would be willing to participate in it again.\n"The parents seem to love it and have as much fun as the kids do," she said.