Wow with your resume

Get an interview by showing what you can do

The function of most resumes is to win an interview, said Mark Brostoff, Associate Director of Career Placement Services at the Kelley School of Business. We all know we need one, but what makes a really good resume? \n"You need your first, middle and last name. And your address and phone number. Then start with start with your education," said Lena Le, a sophomore business major.\nArlene Hill, Associate Director for the Arts and Sciences Placement office, a division of the Career Development Center, said resume writing is not black and white. \n"Resume writing is an art and a science," Hill said. "There are very few rules. One -- no typos. Two -- no lying." \nBrostoff suggests working categorically then chronologically. Using categories such as 'Education,' 'Relevant Work Experience' and 'Other Experience,' then placing items in terms of when accomplished helps focus the reader's eyes to what the applicant sees as most important. Brostoff said that resumes are about selling yourself. \n"It is an advertisement and the product is you," Brostoff said. "You've got about 10 seconds to make yourself a really good impression." Brostoff stresses catching the reader's attention as soon as possible with action verbs and insuring that the piece of paper moves from the giant "in" stack to the smaller "interview" stack. \nThese action verbs serve to vividly describe the applicants' responsibilities a previous jobs, Brostoff said. Examples of these words include "organized," "launched" and "sold." Also, Brostoff said specifically highlighting individual skills has also become a useful tool in passing the resume screening process, especially if the stack of applicants is large. Notable skills might include computer, interpersonal, technical, literary and oratory. \nHill agrees that job-specific skills have an important place in today's resume. Additionally, for the college student, Hill suggests dropping high school credentials.\nSince resumes are the true first impression applicants make upon an potential employer, it is important to make the resume paper look presentable, Hill said. \n"The font should lie between 10 and 12 point, and usually Times New Roman," she said \nBrostoff agrees that the presentation of the resume is important, but should not overshadow the content. \n"It's what's on the page that matters most," he said.\nThe best piece of advice when writing a resume is to know the audience you're writing for, Brostoff and Hill said. The style and content should vary depending on the job position desired, Brostoff said. Hill recommends keeping a general resume, with all accomplishments included, then tailoring for each new application. \n"Just keep in mind who you're applying to,"she said. \nAdditional help and resume advice can be found at the Career Development Center, at 625 N. Jordan Ave.; call 855-5234 for more information.