Ultimate Frisbee unites students of varied backgrounds

Meeting new people, sportsmanship among characteristics of team

The men's Ultimate Frisbee club team is made up of students from all parts of the country. Spanning freshmen to graduate students, their experiences with Ultimate is as diverse as the students who make up the team. Considering teamwork as one of their strongest characteristics, they not only play on the field together, but many live and hang out together. \n"I knew when I came to college I wanted to play on an Ultimate (Frisbee) team," sophomore John Kolb said. "At a big school like IU, Ultimate is definitely a great way to meet new people outside of the dorm."\nThe HoosierMama?s, IU's men's Ultimate Frisbee team, is composed of 30 students. Ultimate Frisbee is a club sport at IU, which means the team holds organized practices and competes in off-campus tournaments.\nUltimate Frisbee is played on a field with end zones 25 yards deep. The players cannot run with the disc but advance up the field by passing it to each other. If the disc hits the ground, it is turned over to the opposing team. The first team to reach the designated number of points for the game -- or whoever is ahead after the limited time -- wins.\nJunior Scott Huffer has played on the team for three years. He met his best friends, and now his roommates, when he joined the team as a freshman.\n"The game is fun, the people are great, and it'll keep you in shape for the ladies," he said. "We all hang out together. We party together."\nBeing a "Mama?," as they refer to themselves, means to commit to an intense practice schedule, a substantial amount of traveling and paying from each teammate's pocket.\nFor example, the team practices Monday through Thursday at Woodlawn Field. Often, if it isn't traveling to a tournament, the team has scrimmages or practice Saturdays and Sundays. \nTournaments occur two or three times a month, with more in the spring. They can last up to three days and involve 10 to 20 different collegiate clubs. Last year the team traveled to tournaments in Charlotte, N.C., and Atlanta.\nEvery year the Mama?s go to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, where this year, they had a pickle juice chugging contest. Before the IU and Purdue teams squared off, someone had the idea to hold the contest right on the field. IU won and got to call the kick-off.\nThis is only one of the memories team co-captain senior Andy Sabo has after his four years on the team. \n"You get to be around a very diverse group of people," he said. "The mix of young guys and veterans makes it real fun."\nWhen Sabo came to IU from North Carolina, he was looking to meet people and stay in shape when he decided to join the team. Sabo said that playing Ultimate is a great way to find a balance between schoolwork and being committed to a team.\n"It's a good way to spend your time," he said. "If you want to learn time management, play a club sport."\nSince the Frisbee team is a University club sport, it receives funding from IU. With 48 club sports at IU, all expenses are not paid. Sabo said University money pays for tournament fees, but the majority comes out of each player's own pocket.\n"Gas, travel expenses, food ..." he said. "It's gets expensive."\nOne hope for additional funding would be a promotion from club sport to varsity sport status.\n"There is hope," Sabo said, "but it will be awhile."\nThe HoosierMama?s are relying on a lot of young talent to build experience as the year progresses. The newest members of the team were sent to Purdue for the first tournament this year and finished fifth.\nWin or lose, the HoosierMama?s said they have enthusiasm for each other and their sport. \n"The team members are great guys," Kolb said. "It's the most enjoyable way for me to stay in shape." \nFor more information on the HoosierMama?s and other Ultimate Frisbee teams in Bloomington, visit www.indiana.edu/~ultimate. \n-- Contact staff writer Lindahl Wiegand at lawiegan@indiana.edu.