The force is with them

'Star Wars' fans see club as chance to share interests, social circles

In the summer of 1977, George Lucas shook the lives of science fiction fans for generations to come with the release of "Star Wars." Those yearning for an outer space free of Klingons and William Shatner, those who were waiting for their fantasies to appear on a blank silver screen, became "Star Wars" fans.\nThe movie -- if it can still be called merely a movie -- grossed over $460 million in theaters, making it the second-most successful motion picture of all time.\nIU alumnus Brian Bosmer, a self-proclaimed "Star Wars" fanatic, remembers that first magical time.\n"I was sort of into Star Trek, but not really," Bosmer said. "I went to see the movie in '77, and saw it again at least 10 more times in the theaters. John Williams' music just hooked me in."\nBosmer, a staff member at IU Technical Support, founded Bloomin-gton's first official Star Wars Fan Club last summer: The Hoosier Alliance.\n"I was involved with the Indy Knights, but I was tired of making the drive from Bloomington for every event," Bosmer said of the major fan club in Indianapolis, which boasts over 70 members and its own Web site.\nThrough the national Star Wars Fan Club Web site (www.theforce.net), he found interest among other Bloomington residents for the formation of a new group.\nBosmer's suggestions for group events bombard the Web site, but replies have been scarce. So far, he has been able to arrange only small book discussions at Borders bookstore on the fourth Monday of every month. He said the book discussions thrived in the spring, but no one has attended in four months.\n"Having a fan club in Bloomington is a great way of extending what the Indy Knights have done in central Indiana," said Jay Newnum, president of the Indy Knights. "It will give fans a chance to do something in a local environment as well as having events that benefit local charities."\nNewnum doesn't fit the single, loner stereotype of a "Star Wars" fan: He is a 31-year-old married mortgage loan officer with two children, Jaykob and Jayden Lucas. During the release of "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" in Indianapolis, he was interviewed by CNN and USA Today as part of their features on "Star Wars" fandom.\nGroups like the Indy Knights have formed in most large cities across the country. "Star Wars" fanaticism has evolved into a staple of not only modern American culture, but modern culture worldwide. \nStill, society has been staunch in its criticism. "Star Wars" fans have been accused of immaturity, escapism and, in some cases, even cult worship. In the spring 2002 edition of Moviemaker magazine, fans John Guth and Jeff Tweitan appeared in an article documenting their 20-week wait outside a Seattle theater for the release of "Episode II."\nA related bit from NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" depicts "Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog," ridiculing costumed "Star Wars" fans in a theater on the opening day of "Episode II."\n"Which button do you press on your suit to call mommy when you're ready to leave?" he asks a man in a Stormtrooper outfit.\n"There's so much Star Wars material out there that some fans can actually devote their lives to talking about and experiencing the Star Wars universe," said Bob Rehak, a doctoral student in the IU Department of Communication and Culture. "I'm leery about calling it a religion, since I think a lot of things in our culture have ascended to religious heights -- celebrity worship, the almighty dollar, post 9/11 patriotism. But you could argue that amidst the fading popularity of mainstream religion, phenomena such as 'Star Wars' have arisen that channel people's need to believe."\nEven after all the negative publicity for "Star Wars" fans, Bosmer doesn't shun his almost 20-year-long love affair with Lucas' creation. He proudly displays photos of himself in his Jango Phett costume. His bag is littered with more photos from conventions, one autographed by an actor who had played a Stormtrooper. \n"It's Jeremy Bullock," Bosmer said. "Jeremy Bullock gave me the picture and signed it."\nCasey Feltner, one of the few Hoosier Alliance Members, defined her own level of "Star Wars" appreciation.\n"I would say I'm a pretty loyal "Star Wars" fan," she said. "Kind of obsessive. I do have a life, I have a job, and friends. Liking and collecting stuff related to the movies is my hobby."\nGail Peterson, a member of the Indy Knights and an IU alumna, said the core of these groups are the friendships, not the spaceships. The Indy Knights organize charity events in Indianapolis. They hold general meetings once a month to plan events like flag football tournaments, cookouts and dinner outings.\n"People would be amazed to see the look on children's faces at our charity events, when we walk into a room in our Stormtrooper or Darth Vader costumes," Peterson said. "Between movies, I feel like we have become more of a social organization than anything else."\nIt is undeniable, though, that some fans are more obsessed than others. According to the Sunday Times in London, 5 percent of New Zealand's population listed their religion as "Jedi" in the 2001 national census. \n"With every cult movie that has a following, there are fans who take it too literally," Newnum said. "Sometimes, this incredibly small percentage of people are the ones who get the most publicity, and therefore give the fandom a bad reputation. There are worse things I could be passionate about. Instead, I've found a safe outlet that's not only fun, but that I can share with my kids."\nBoth Newnum and Peterson agreed they enjoyed Star Wars most for its ability to unify people from such different walks of life. Bosmer spoke of his plans for trying get the Hoosier Alliance members to all enter a coming paintball tournament.\n"We're just ordinary people trying to have fun."\n-- Contact staff writer Daniel Castro at dacastro@indiana.edu.