Professor gives poetry reading, highlights culture

Nationally acclaimed poet and IU professor of creative writing Kevin Young will read original poetry from 9 to 10:30 p.m. today in the African American Cultural Center Library, Room 113A in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.\nThe event, titled "Late Night Poetry" will be followed by a brief question-and-answer session with the professor. Students will also have the opportunity to share their own work with the highly-decorated poet.\n"Professor Young holds the endowed Indiana University Ruth Lilly Professorship of Poetry," said Grace Jackson-Brown, director of the African American Cultural Center Library. "In national poetry circles, professor Young is a highly sought speaker and presenter," \nIn May 2003, the Guggenheim Foundation named Young a Guggenheim Fellow, providing him with the funds to take time off for writing next year. Young has published three books of poetry including "Most Way Home" (1995), which details Young's childhood in Louisiana and was a selection by the National Poetry Series.\nHe also wrote "To Repel Ghosts," (2001) based upon the works of the late neo-expressionist artist Jean-Michel Basquiat of New York. It was a finalist for the James McLaughlin Prize from the American Academy of Poets. \nThis year Young wrote "Jelly Roll: A blues experimented with style."\n"'Jelly Roll' is poems set around the spirit of the blues," Young said. "It's tragic and comic merging to describe love and loss, hopefully some humor."\nYoung will read mostly from his third book tonight, but will also present some new works. "There might be some surprises," he said.\nThe reading is not intended just for those who study creative writing or who are African American. Jackson-Brown asked Young to read at the center because of the strong connection to African-American culture found in his work. \n"(American culture and African-American culture) are very much the same," Young said. "African-American culture has a huge impact on American culture."\nIn the past, Young's poetry has been accessible to all types of students.\n"I hope students who are aspiring poets, or students and others who are lovers of poetry will come out to hear professor Young. Poetry is meant to be read out loud," Jackson-Brown said.\nPoetry graduate student Alison Powell, who studies under Young, said the graduate poetry program at IU focuses on presenting work out loud for peer review. Young facilitates the process. \n"He's extremely knowledgeable and well-read; he's an excellent reader," she said. "He can really target what my strengths and weaknesses are." \nYoung said he realized at an early age the importance of teachers in the world of writing. \n"I took a class when I was 13 or 14 (in poetry writing)," Young said. "It never occurred to me to write poetry; I always just wrote little stories. But when I took the class, it was like, 'Oh, poetry.' None were very good, initially, but I realized I could write about my family and the way they talked and ate, who they were."\nYoung said he began to realize that poetry could be different and imaginative, and he chose to write about topics ranging from family dinners to musical genres. He is currently working on a book of poems about detective movies. He said he hopes to encourage aspiring writers to think outside the box. \n"With a reading, you're always hoping to inspire," Young said. "I think poetry's meant to be read and talked about. And we'll have an open mic. I hope to hear what people around here are writing."\nYoung has come a long way since he attended his first poetry workshop; now he offers his own philosophy. \n"If you want to be a writer, write a lot; read a lot," he said. "Read everything you can. Don't be afraid to try new things, or write about old things. Write about the Midwest and the world around you. You don't even need to write about things you necessarily consider poetic."\nYoung said he continues to believe poetry can strongly influence the modern world. \n"Poetry tells a story about us." Young said. "It helps us to clarify what we think; it shows us what to think; it even makes fun of what we think."\n-- Contact staff writer Stacey Laskin at slaskin@indiana.edu.