world

Pope's ailing health concerns Catholics

Pope John Paul II has been the pontiff for the duration of most IU students' lifetimes, but in recent months, the 83-year-old's battle with Parkinson's disease has worsened.\n"(Pope John Paul II) is saying that his health is failing … he feels like God is calling him," said Father Charles Chesebrough, pastor of St. Charles Catholic Church. "Although his mind is still very sharp, his body is not."\nThe pope's health has been poor for months, but seems to be weakening even more at recent public appearances. He sometimes appears pained and reads only part of his prepared remarks, according to The New York Times.\nThe pope has suffered from Parkinson's disease since the early 1990s. It is a disease that leads to a reduction of dopamine -- a brain chemical vital for controlling body movement. As a result, patients suffer from muscle tremors, rigidity of movement and balance and coordination problems, according to Encyclopedia Britannica.\nBecause most IU students have not witnessed the election of a new pope in their lifetimes, the system is unfamiliar to many. \n"When a pope passes away, all of the cardinals are called to the Sistine Chapel in Rome to elect a new pope," said Chesebrough. "The cardinals stay until they elect a new pope. They must do it this way so that they won't filibuster."\nBefore a pope dies, he selects new cardinals to elect his successor. A ceremony was held Oct. 21 to celebrate Pope John Paul's 25th anniversary of papacy. At this ceremony, 30 new cardinals were confirmed. These cardinals will be electing the next pope.\nMany Catholic students say they are so busy with school and other activities that they aren't able to remain updated on the pope's condition.\n"I knew that the pope was sick, but I didn't know how serious his condition is," sophomore Mandy Gibson said. "I have such a busy schedule that it's hard for me to keep up with world news."\nChesebrough said if the pope is unable to fulfill his duties due to poor health, he would be able to step down as pope and resign his duties.\n"A pope can retire, although this has never happened," said Chesebrough. "It is usually for life. However, if the pope were to step down, he would first have to receive a unanimous vote from the College of Cardinals, his advisors. It is kind of a checks and balances system."\nMost students have never seen a new pope elected, and don't know what to expect. Because Pope John Paul II has been the pontiff for most students' lifetimes, a new pope would be a different experience for students.\n"I wasn't aware of the pope's condition, but it will be a really sad day for practicing Catholics around the globe since he has been so influential for so long," sophomore Ben Burr said.\nBecause John Paul has been in power for 25 years, choosing his successor will be a lengthy process for the cardinals. \nThe next pope will probably share many of the same views of John Paul because he has appointed all but five of the 135 cardinals who are currently under the age of 80, and thus eligible to vote for the next pope, according to The New York Times.\n"This should be an interesting time for (young Catholics) because you have never seen a new pope be elected," said Chesebrough. "This will be a new experience for you all."\n-- Contact staff writer Lee Cleary at lgcleary@indiana.edu.