Men's and women's teams sweep Evansville

The men's and women's swimming and diving teams got their seasons started on a positive note Saturday, as both posted victories against in-state rival Evansville at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center, 164-116 and 183-104, respectively. Freshman Colin Russell led the way for the men, winning three events for the Hoosiers, including the 1000-yard free-style, the 50-yard freestyle, and the 100-yard breaststroke. Russell, a native of Canada, was not surprised with the way he performed in his first intercollegiate meet.\n"I wasn't nervous, but I was ready to start out the year with good times so I have something to start out with," said Russell. "I have high expectations for myself, and I really want to do well." \nRussell, who said he came to IU for the coaching, usually swims in the 200 and 500-yard freestyle events, but was put in his off-events Saturday as part of IU coach Ray Looze Jr.'s strategy for the meet. \n"We put a lot of guys in their off-events today, and what we were hoping to find is any hidden signs of versatility," Looze said. "We are a very young team, and we are trying to find out things about them. We are really trying to improve their mental toughness."\nSenior Mike Payne and junior Richard Bryant also performed well for IU, Payne proving victorious in the 100- yard freestyle race, and Bryant capturing two events, the 200-yard fly and the 200-yard free. Bryant looked at this meet as a positive stepping stone to success throughout the season, noting the strong contribution the freshmen have made to the team thus far.\n"I think today went really well," Bryant, a native of Somerset, England, said. "Our freshmen really stepped up, and I was really pleased. The freshmen are going to make a difference time-wise, but more so mentally. There is a new atmosphere around the team, and it is positive."\nThe Hoosier women were led by seniors Meghan Medendorp and Brooke Taflinger. Medendrop won the 100-yard freestyle event, as well as the 50-yard freestyle. She was also part of the team that captured the 400-yard medley relay race, which included Medendrop, senior Greer McGettrick, freshman Leila Vaziri and freshman Annica Lofstedt. Taflinger won two solo events as well, the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard breaststroke. Women's coach Dorsey Tierney was pleased with the performance of her team.\n"I thought tactically we put together some good races," Tierney said. "We have a lot of little things to work on, but for the most part I was really pleased with the efforts. Our squad is very versatile, and we are very fortunate to have a group like that."\nIn diving, IU junior Ryan Fagan won the men's one-meter diving competition with a score of 281.77. On the women's side, freshmen Lindsay Weigle and Heather Chapman took first and second place, respectively.\nThe next meet for the men is on the road against Kentucky at 6 p.m., Oct. 30. The women go to Dallas Friday for the SMU Classic, which will be held at 7 p.m.\n-- Contact staff writer Scott Lipsky at slipsky@indiana.edu.