IU senior helps give birth to new musical

Sandwiched between two of musical theater's revered geniuses, senior Eric Price knows only hard work and determination led to the casting of his role.\nThis semester, Price had the opportunity to work with 20-time Tony Award-winning director Hal Prince and musical theater legend Stephen Sondheim on the new musical, "Bounce," which premiered in Chicago's Goodman Theatre and recently opened in Washington D.C. at the Kennedy Center. Price worked on both the original production and its D.C. counterpart.\nHe said he was surprised at how accessible the theater prodigies were to him. \n"I just sent a letter to Hal's office in New York," he said. "He contacted me and basically said, 'Let's make this happen.' It was a really exciting process." \nBecause Prince made his own entrance to the business through an internship, he said he thinks it's important to reach out to others eager to make a mark in musical theater. \n"My early mentorship with George Abbott, a gigantic figure in American musical theater, is fairly well documented, and I credit it with setting me on the right path," Prince said. "Not only is encouragement from an experienced and celebrated artist a great jump-start, but learning your craft, and with it discipline and respect and courage, is invaluable."\nPrice is grateful he took a chance by applying for the job. \n"If you want to be able to have amazing opportunities, just do it," he said. "Just reach out and make it happen." \nHaving done just that, Price said he now finds himself in the midst of something incredible.\n"It's the best job in the world," Price said. "I'm Hal's right-hand man. I have a front-row seat to the development of a really important show." \n"Bounce" marks the reunion of Prince and Sondheim who have not worked together since 1981's "Merrily We Roll Along."\nPrice describes working with Sondheim as an amazing experience. \n"I'm getting a note from Sondheim with brand new lyrics on it that no one has seen before," he said. "It's like you're the OB-GYN in the birth of a new song. That song and this show are going to be around long after anyone involved with the show."\n"Bounce" portrays the lives of real-life American entrepreneurs and brothers Addison (Richard Kind) and Wilson Mizner (Howard McGillin). The show follows their schemes, which include mining for gold in Alaska and establishing the town of Boca Raton, Price said. He added that this is a very different type of show for Prince and Sondheim to create.\n"They've done a lot of dark shows, such as 'Sweeney Todd.' This is reaching back to more innocent, nostalgic themes," Prince said. "It's a very light-hearted affair with more optimism and resilience. But at the same time, it has kind of a dark underbelly. I guess 'Bounce' shows the dark side of American opportunism."\nPrice has had the opportunity to work with many different genres of theater while growing up and attending IU. In school, Price served as assistant director for "Sweeney Todd" and "Parade," as well as working on several productions for the Bloomington Playwrights Project. In his hometown of Oklahoma City, he directed a small theater company called "The Chocolate Factory."\n"Even though I was working with the most influential living artists, I found it to still be reminiscent of my days with 'The Chocolate Factory,'" he said. "You have the same uncertainties and vulnerabilities. Even the greatest experience that same unknowingness."\nPrice said his background at IU and with "The Chocolate Factory" prepared him for this experience. \n"The theater department at IU is unique. It doesn't just expose you to one part of theater. You have your hand in every element of making theater," he said. "Theater is among the most collaborative of art forms, and the variety that IU provides is important." \nTheater and drama professor George Pinney, who has worked with Price for the past four years, continues to support him in this endeavor. \n"Eric is a superb student with great insight and motivation," Pinney said. "Tenacity, strong self-image and incredible preparation (got him where he is today)."\nPinney traveled to Chicago to view the show last summer. \n"The production is comedic and upbeat," he said. "I hope to see it again when it moves to Broadway."\nPrice plans to follow the show to New York when the show makes that transition. He also plans to move there permanently after graduation. Prince hopes Price will take the knowledge learned from "Bounce" and make an impact on the theater world.\n"(Price) is a superior fellow," Prince said. "I am eager to see what he does because I have a hunch he faces a bright future."\n-- Contact staff writer Stacey Laskin at slaskin@indiana.edu.