Fraternity suspended after pledge hospitalized

IU bans Pi Kappa Phi from social functions

IU suspended Pi Kappa Phi fraternity Friday, one week after a 19-year-old sophomore pledge was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning.\nThe suspension prohibits the chapter from participating in any social activities until the investigation is done and the judicial process is completed, said Dean of Students Richard McKaig.\nSophomore Lucas Temple, who was pledging the fraternity, was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning early on Oct. 3 after an organized event at the fraternity known as Big Brother Night, according to police. Temple has since been released from the hospital.\nThe Interfraternity Council will meet early this week to investigate the matter and make its recommendation to McKaig.\nIU Police Department Lt. Jerry Minger said the situation arose when officers were called to Bloomington Hospital concerning a young man who was severely intoxicated and had black marker all over his body. The student had been brought to the hospital by members of the Pi Kappa Phi house, including house president Mitch Stayer, a senior.\n"The officer was told by the house president that (the student) was intoxicated and he didn't know how he had gotten that way, or where he had been," Minger said.\nPolice said Stayer and several other house members who had brought Temple to the hospital gave the story that they didn't know what had happened.\nOfficer Scott Dunning, who led the investigation, went back to the house the next day to ask more questions. After speaking with house members again, Dunning determined that Temple had been at the house and consumed the alcohol there.\nAlthough Temple told police he was not forced to drink, he said he did drink at the house, Minger said.\nSophomore Andrew Trail, sophomore Kyle Walton and Stayer were cited for false informing, while sophomore Carl Di Girolomo and junior Corey Rzepka were cited with furnishing alcohol to a minor, police said.\nFrom there, disciplinary measures were left to the University.\n"Our initial concern was for the young man and that he was receiving the care he needed," McKaig said. "The frat members did the right thing."\nMcKaig added that he hopes the judicial process can get initiated within the next few weeks. Once a formal hearing is concluded, a recommendation will be made to the dean whether suspension, probation or closing of the chapter is best.\nInterfraternity Council President Evan Waldman, a senior, said the group plans to look at prior decisions in similar cases. Precedent cases, along with the consideration of the positives the chapter brings to the community will be the basis for deciding on the fate of the fraternity.\n"Without a doubt we will take action," Waldman said. "In no way was the incident congruent with being a member of Pi Kappa Phi or the greek community."\nStayer, the house president, declined to comment, referring to a statement issued by the national Pi Kappa Phi organization. The release said the nationals have also suspended the chapter, pending an investigation.\n"The fraternity is cooperating fully with the authorities in this investigation," Pi Kappa Phi's chief executive officer Mark Timmes said in the statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with our associate member as he recovers and with our students during this difficult time."\n-- Contact staff writer Brian Janosch at bjanosch@indiana.edu.