Former players produce in MLS

Every player who has played men's soccer at IU for four years has competed in at least one College Cup, a statement that no other program can make.\nFrom this level of competition at the collegiate level, seven former Hoosiers now play professionally on five different Major League Soccer teams.\nJunior forward Ned Grabavoy said the advanced environment at IU prepares players for the MLS. \n"This is a professional atmosphere," said Grabavoy, who considered jumping to a pro league in France prior to this season but decided to remain at IU. "From where I've been, it's the best there is. From the atmosphere to the coaches, it's top notch. Players aren't surprised when they reach the MLS because the atmosphere at IU was so similar."\nWhile the Hoosier soccer program has been successful in producing players for professional ranks, IU coach Jerry Yeagley has experienced his own success. He's only the second NCAA Division I head soccer coach to win 500 games. But Yeagley said he doesn't adhere to the adage that coaches make players. \n"They were talented when they came to IU," Yeagley said. "The tools here help them develop their games. The training facilities at IU are outstanding. We also play a difficult strength of schedule year in and year out. The younger players are surrounded with talented, experienced players, too, and they play against them in practice everyday. The rest is up to the players. They have to continue to improve while they're at IU."\nThose seven former Hoosiers are playing for various MLS squads. Chris Klein and Nick Garcia play for the Kansas City Wizards. Klein played at IU from 1994-1997, while Garcia played in Bloomington from 1997-1999. Klein, a midfielder, was awarded MLS Player of the Week Monday, after his two-goal performance against the Colorado Rapids. As a result of his offensive effectiveness, Kansas City has pulled to within four points of second place in the Western Conference standings. It marked the second time Klein has garnered the accolade this season. \nGrabavoy said he's happy to see Klein performing strongly in the MLS and said the IU soccer program helped ensure his success.\n"It makes me feel real good to know that he came through the same program," Grabavoy said. "It's satisfying. It's nice to see he's doing well."\nYeagley said Klein played very little his freshman season, and he would get tired very quickly. He added Klein would sometimes shy away from competitive situations. But Yeagley said by his senior year, he was one of the most dynamic, explosive players around.\n"He's like a fine wine," Yeagley said. "He just keeps getting better with age."\nMeanwhile, Garcia, who was a three-time All-American at IU, is a defensive specialist for the Wizards. He has started all 26 games he has played this year. \nAnother former IU standout, Pat Noonan, is competing in the MLS. He played at IU from 1999-2002, and now plays for the New England Revolution. Noonan, who also was a three-time All-American, earned MLS Player of the Week honors Sept. 15.\nOther former Hoosier players in the MLS include Brian Maisonneuve and Mike Clark of the Columbus Crew, Dema Kovalenko of the D.C. United, and Chad Deering of the Dallas Burn. Maisonneuve, who played at IU from 1991-1994, was the National Player of the Year in 1994 as he earned the Hermann Trophy Award. \nGrabavoy said he hopes to one day be in the MLS. He explained what it would be like to make it in the pros and to excel in the professional ranks.\n"That would mean a lot," Grabavoy said. "That's what I want to do. I've wanted to play pro soccer ever since I was a little kid. I just don't want to make it, I want to leave my mark on the game."\nWhile Grabavoy is excited to possibly advance his soccer career, Freitag described his feelings in seeing former IU players on the pro level. \n"It makes me proud, extremely proud," Freitag said. "You see them go to the MLS with potential. Then, they use that ability and build on it to have a successful soccer career. It just makes you proud. You're a part of that process."\n-- Contact staff writer Zack Eldridge at zeldridg@indiana.edu.