Celebrated show to play IU tonight

The cast of "Fame: The Musical," a show coming to the IU Auditorium this week, defines just that -- fame. The play introduces a group of performing arts students trying to sing, dance, act and jam their way to the top. What audiences might not realize, however, is that the actors playing these roles have already been there and done that.\nDiana Rodes, a representative for the show, said some of the actors are young. \n"For some of them this is their first job," she said. Inexperience hasn't stood in their way though as they have toured the United States and Canada, often spending more time on a bus than on stage, Rodes said. \nJulie Burdick joined the cast immediately after her graduation from Niagara University. This is her first tour, and despite the challenges she has faced, Burdick said she enjoys the experience and keeps a positive attitude.\n"I think the hardest thing is not having control over what you can do with your time. We often have to be on the bus at 5 a.m. and we're on there for 10 hours," Burdick said. "We have to get into mics and start stretching out in preparation for the show. (With all that) your whole day is gone. You don't have time to work out or read a book or talk on the phone. Then again, you look at the fact that you're touring the country and doing what you love. This is what I've trained to do (and) I'm not complaining."\nBurdick also said as a rookie in touring theater, she is able to relate to the insecurities of her character, Iris, who is the ballerina of the school.\n"She's afraid that people won't relate to her and won't like her because she's the new kid in town," Burdick said. "Everybody (has insecurities) but then you work through them and you realize the more true you are to yourself the more people will like you." \nLike her character, Burdick has learned a great deal from her experiences as a performer and enjoys working with a diverse and talented group of individuals.\nAppropriately enough, one of the more experienced cast members, Dana Barathy, plays Burdick's teacher in the show. Barathy has been touring since age 10 and, although only in her mid-20s, she has learned a lot about theater. Barathy has a knowing attitude about the show and admits "you have to be on your toes everyday." She said the cast has been working well together and they are all able to relate to their respective characters.\n"All of us can (relate). \nThe show is about going to school and trying to achieve your dreams," Barathy said. "We're all at this place (in our lives). We all worked our butts off to get here."\nBoth actresses said the best thing about touring is getting to do what they love. In spite of the long hours and busy schedules, both women say they are up to the challenge that touring presents. \nTickets for "Fame: The Musical" are still available at the IU Auditorium box office or through Ticketmaster. Cost is $34 to $57 for general admission, and $17 to $37 for IU students and children under 12. The show will run tonight and Wednesday starting at 8 p.m.\n-- Contact staff writer Meredith Hahn at mshahn@indiana.edu.