Astral Project introduces contemporary jazz to IU

Astral Project was in Bloomington Wednesday for a concert at the Willkie Auditorium, performing songs from its latest 2002 album, "Big Shot," as well as new compositions the group hope to record later this year.\n"Our latest album was self-produced, and we're very happy we got the opportunity to do it because we put our hearts into it," Astral Project drummer John Vidacovich said. "Hopefully we can get enough money and support to produce another album by the end of the year, which will feature some songs we're playing tonight."\nThe Astral Project was formed in 1978 and has been hailed by music magazine "OffBeat" as "the finest modern jazz ensemble in New Orleans, and undoubtedly one of the most unique jazz groups period."\nAlthough "Big Shot" is the group's first album in three years, it's the individual projects that each member works on when they're not together that makes Astral Project so unique.\n"All of my life what I've enjoyed most is that I get to play all kinds of different gigs with different people," Vidacovich said. "What makes us cool as a group is that when we get together for so long over so many years we bring these other little trips we've been on."\nAstral Project consists of leader Tony Dagradi on saxophone, Steve Masakowski on seven-string guitar, James Singleton on bass and Vidacovich on drums. Each is known as the best on their instruments in New Orleans, the jazz capital of America and possibly the world.\nHaving four of the top modern jazz musicians together on stage would prove to be an awesome show, and they wasted no time.\nWhen the band members first walked on stage there was already a jazzy beat in their steps. Vidacovich sat down at his drums and counted out a quick beat on his high-hat as he unbuttoned his shirt. When the shirt was off he threw it on the ground, a signal for the others to join in. The night would be full of the same energy.\n"The performance was phenomenal," said freshman Ryan Cox. "I've never seen a band that cohesive in my life. Their improvisations were phenomenal and how they can transition from one improvisation to the next, and do it so cleanly, was amazing."\nWhat made their transitions so smooth was their command over all the elements in their music.\n"They do some really abstract things, but can be solid and have really nice melodies at the right time," said Peter Allison, a freshman jazz studies major.\nBoth Allison and Cox were most impressed with Singleton's bass playing and how they have never heard anyone loop elements in a piece of music together like Singleton did. Many critics would agree as they say Singleton defines the contemporary jazz sound of Astral Project.\n"If you like contemporary jazz at all, you would really love Astral Project," Allison said.