Around the arts

PBS character to perform at center\nKid Kazooey and the BallRoom Roustabouts will perform their annual "All Hallow's Eve Ruckus" at 6 p.m. tonight at the John Waldron Arts Center Auditorium. Kid Kazooey is "the singin' & swingin' librarian." He performs what he calls "Story-Singing-Dance-Music" to children of all ages, both as a one-man band and as the leader of his band The BallRoom Roustabouts. \nOn the kazoo, the Kid displays a mature understanding of his instrument, as he plays anything from ragtime novelty klezmer to flat out rock and roll. Kid Kazooey plays the same kazoo he has had for over five years stuck in a harmonica holder, while also playing either the accordion, guitar, banjo or mandolin. Tickets are $12 for general admission, $10 for students and seniors, and $6 for children 12 and younger. For more information about the show, call 334-3100, ext. 102.

All genres featured at Indy Music Conference\nThe Indianapolis Music Conference will take place Nov. 21-23. The showcase application deadline for the Indianapolis Music Conference has been extended to Saturday. The showcases are open to bands, musicians and singer/songwriters of all genres. \nThe INMC's mission is to bring about change in the music industry through a series of comprehensive panels, seminars and workshops that provide a productive platform for presenting new ideas, resolving issues, providing insight and stimulating industry growth. Representatives from major and independent record labels, publishers, promoters, and others will be in attendance along with musicians, songwriters and music enthusiasts. A primary goal of the conference is to help give back to music non-profits. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the VH-1 Save The Music Foundation.\nTo find out more, visit www.imusicconference.com or call 678-445-0006.

City Lights film series celebrates Halloween\nThe City Lights Film Series will feature two films pertaining to Halloween beginning at 7 p.m. Friday at Ballantine Hall, Room 013. \nThe first film, "Witchcraft through the Ages," was produced in Sweden in 1922 by pioneering Danish filmmaker Benjamin Christensen. This notorious "documentary" is a bizarre silent-film oddity that explores the nature of witchcraft and diabolism from ancient Persia through then-modern times, using a variety of cinematic approaches, from still images, to models, to vivid, dramatic reenactments. Part earnest academic exercise in correlating ancient fears with misunderstandings about mental illness and part salacious horror movie, it is a truly unique work that still holds the power to unnerve. The film runs 76 minutes.\nThe second feature of the night, 1968's "Night of the Living Dead," begins at 8:30 p.m. Director George Romero's introduction to the film world retains its visceral impact 35 years later. This gritty tale of a group of people trapped in a remote farmhouse, battling amongst themselves while hordes of ravenous zombies converge outside, is enhanced by the use of hand-held cameras, high-contrast black-and-white film and simple but effective special effects. The film runs 90 minutes.\nBoth showings are free.