Around the arts

Persian film explores human psychology\nThe Persian film series presents "The Last Act" ("Parde-ye Akhar") at 7:30 tonight in Ballantine Hall, Room 340. Directed by Varuzh Karim-Masihi, this award-winning film set in Tehran in the 1930s describes an unscrupulous brother and sister's plot to dispose of their recently widowed sister-in-law in order to obtain her inheritance. To implement their scheme, the two hire a troupe of itinerant performers to pose as servants and stage a horrific play within a play. The widow calls on the police, but as the evidence of each "crime" disappears before he arrives on the scene, her sanity is increasingly called into question. This dark farce manipulates the viewer along with the widow as we approach the last act.

Siberian dance troupe visits IU\nKrasnoyarsk National Dance Company of Siberia, a group of more than 60 dancers, will perform at 7:30 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium. The dance company features opulent costumes, rich pageantry and traditional Russian music. The company, which formed in 1960, has won numerous international awards and is highly regarded throughout Russia. Tickets are $18 to $27 for the general public, $9 to $17 for children under 12 and IU-B students with a valid ID.

Students perform in concert of German singing tradition\nVoice students from the School of Music will perform "Italienisches Liderbuch" by Hugo Wolf at 8 p.m. Saturday at Auer Hall. Directed by visiting conductor Hakan Hagegard, the performance is a synthesis of poetry and music. Austrian composer Wolf's strength was the compression of large-scale forms and ideas -- the essences of grand opera, tone poem and dramatic symphony -- into song.

Gilbert and Sullivan musical presented by local company\nBloomington Music Works will present "The Mikado" at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and at 3 p.m. Sunday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. \n"The Mikado" was first performed at the Savoy Theatre in London, England in 1885 and ran longer in its initial run than any other Gilbert & Sullivan operetta. Since then it has been filmed twice, and performed in every possible style -- jazz, swing, and even as a ballet. Bloomington Music Works' production is in the traditional mold, combining a modern playfulness with a respect for the creator's original intent. Tickets are $15 for the general public and $11 for students with a valid ID. Admission is free for children 12 and under.