Are you in, or are you knocking?

Fashion is a tricky industry to break into. It is considered to be one of the most difficult industries to break into along with music and acting. The fashion industry is full of hungry young people with experience and dedication who work hard. There are also people trying to get into the fashion industry with little to no knowledge of fashion, but they are easy to surpass. Success in any field depends on drive with tact. \nIf you are a writer there are many ways to break into the fashion industry. One of the most common routes is to do a three-month internship with either a designer or a fashion magazine. Though interns are low on the totem pole, it looks great on a résumé. Unfortunately, internships often aren't what students expect. Meenal Mistry, fashion editor of Women's Wear Daily, said students expect to come out of fashion internships with a heightened knowledge of the field.\n"A three-month internship does not guarantee you anything, not even another internship," she said. "It's surprising how many students come in with this idea and it couldn't be further from the truth."\nMany writers do their own transcribing. Of course, there is more to being an intern than sitting at the computer playing solitaire. \n"The work involves some photocopying and phone work," Mistry said, "but it's mostly packing and\nunpacking clothes, returning them to showrooms and occasionally going on photo shoots to assist the stylist."\nA good intern doesn't just pour coffee, but it is common knowledge in the fashion industry that interns aren't the busiest people in the world. \nIf you want to become a fashion writer, you should write. Writers should never be afraid to showcase their talents in a positive way. A writing portfolio is invaluable at job interviews. Class assignments on yoga shops and letters to the editor have no leverage. Obnoxious criticism of fashion writing and design did not work for Joan Rivers, who tragically fell victim to her own self-hate by deforming herself with plastic surgery. \nIf you have never written for the IDS, I encourage you to do so. Before you do, make sure you know the difference between a fashion article and a fashion column. Fashion articles need research and fashion columns are opinion. I have found that paying attention in your trends and concept classes and reading something other than fashion magazines helps. Fashion is a vast subject. I found that paying attention to my professors and reading up on my fashion history helps with both critiquing and writing about fashion. \nNetworking is a powerful tool in the fashion industry. It is how Coco Chanel, Ralph Lauren and Zac Posen established themselves. It is key in an industry built on connections. Networking helped me get a job working for one of the top agencies when I was a freshman in college and allowed my designs to be picked for a major fashion show. You have to learn how to talk to people without sounding desperate for a job. Networking also involves learning how to get into fashion events like fashion week and getting a seat at the most exclusive shows.\nMost of all, you have to have respect for the people who are already doing what you want to do. Mistry advises interns to offer their opinions in an appropriate way. \n"While interns' opinions are valued, they tend to offer them at the wrong times," Mistry said. \nI have learned that you have to know when and how to tell people what you think. Interviewing designers and the top fashion editors requires the talent of listening. It isn't learned by sitting in the peanut gallery, reading everyone else's work. You can love fashion and even bet your life on it, but the real secret is maximizing every opportunity to your advantage. \nOf course, your resume is essential in landing the job of your dreams. Normally, the rule is not to gloat, but you can highlight your best accomplishments. Fran Healey, Operations Manager at Black Label and Women's Collection at Ralph Lauren, lives by this rule. She said you have to add fuel to the fire. \nDon't be shy about your achievements. If you have worked side-by-side with Ralph Lauren and helped him decide what was going on his runway, worked with Michael Kors, had your writing praised in Women's Wear Daily, wrote the first fashion article for the number one collegiate newspaper in the country, have studied fashion for years in two different cities and currently have your own fashion column you should express that on your résumé.\nBoasting does not get people very far socially. If you are more than qualified for the job, your employers will acknowledge that. If you are not, they won't. Most importantly, success in any field takes tenacity. You will get rejected, and most writers don't get a job on their first interview. Advancement depends on who is still standing when the competition proves wanton.