University of Washington administrator named graduate studies dean

Slattery to oversee research, scholarship across all IU campuses

A new dean of graduate studies has been named. \nJohn T. Slattery, associate dean for academic programs at the Graduate School of the University of Washington in Seattle, will succeed Dean George Walker, University officials announced Wednesday.\nA professor of pharmaceutics who gained his Ph.D. from State University of New York at Buffalo, Slattery has served as associate dean at Washington for the past five years. During that time, he gained the respect and admiration of many, said Augustine McCaffery, assistant to the dean and manager for academic programs.\n"Coming from a science background, he was able to bridge his knowledge with all aspects of the graduate school, which run the gamut from arts and humanities to social and physical sciences," McCaffery said. "His ability to collaborate with various faculty in different programs led to resolving any issues that might have arisen."\nIn his previous position, graduate program review was one of Slattery's primary responsibilities. He also worked with a graduate school council made up of faculty on Washington's Seattle campus. This responsibility required Slattery to build a working rapport with the university community.\n"His leaving here is a loss for us," McCaffery said. " ... And not only for the graduate school but for the broader university community as well."\nAs associate dean, Slattery also worked with faculty and students on two satellite campuses developing closer relationships with them, McCaffery said. \nAt IU, he will act as the administrative and academic leader of the graduate school, overseeing research and scholarship across eight IU campuses. IU has 19,300 graduate students among its 98,000 students on eight campuses. Slattery will report to IU Vice President for Research Michael McRobbie.\n"John Slattery is aware of and will bring to bear the nation's best practices in graduate education," McRobbie said in a statement. "He will represent the University's graduate programs to external audiences and funding sources in ways that bring benefit to students and programs."\nAt Washington, Slattery taught while also performing his administrative duties. In recent years, he primarily taught graduate level courses dealing with oncology, pathophysiology and drug metabolism. Slattery is also a member of the University of Washington Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.\n"John's an engaging, dynamic individual," said professor Ken Thummel, who had Slattery as a graduate student 25 years ago. "The new appointment is a very natural tribute and evaluation of his skills and expertise."\nSlattery, whose wife Judy is a math teacher, likes to be involved not only in the university's educational opportunities, but also those in the community.\n"He is passionate about research and education," Thummel said. "He spent a lot of time getting involved in science education in the local community."\nWith all of his diverse interests, Thummel said he doesn't think moving to Bloomington will be a hard adjustment for Slattery. \n"He's always engaged in some kind of activity," Thummel said. "This isn't a terrible transition. As long as he finds a lake and a sail boat, he'll enjoy it."\nAlthough Slattery's appointment is currently pending the approval by the IU board of trustees, there are no plans to discuss this matter at today's board meeting.\nSlattery could not be reached for comment Wednesday.\n-- Contact staff writer Jane Charney at echarney@indiana.edu.