Stung Wolverines prepare to take on Hoosiers at home

After upset loss to Oregon last week, No. 11 Michigan and QB Navarre are ready to rebound

Based on the history of the IU-Michigan series, there aren't many victories to talk about. IU trails 46-9 in the series against the Wolverines. Michigan owns an 11-game winning streak and has won 26 of the past 27 games. IU last beat Michigan (3-1) in 1987 with a 14-10 victory when Bill Mallory coached IU. The Hoosiers lost 58-0 in Ann Arbor the last time the teams faced off in 2000.\nIU senior wide receiver Glenn Johnson said the Hoosiers can't think about that.\n"The team is focused on trying its hardest to win this game because probably every person in the country thinks we're gonna lose this game," Johnson said. "The objective is to not fall into that trap. We know that people aren't giving us a chance. So we have to give ourselves a chance. We have to practice hard and do things above and beyond what has been done."\nTo give themselves a chance, according to coach Gerry DiNardo, IU must do a better job of controlling the ball and converting on third-down conversions. IU was only 4 of 16 on third downs against Kentucky and is converting only 35 percent on the season.\nDiNardo said along with third down conversions, the kicking game and turnover battle will be key.\n"I don't think the answer to beating Michigan is any different than the answer to beating anyone else," DiNardo said. "You have to play the game at a more efficient level than the opponent."\nThe offense has been limited by a young offensive line in which four of the five starters are freshmen and sophomores with true freshman center Chris Mangiero anchoring the middle.\nAnd the offensive line has struggled at times this season with their pass protection. \nJunior quarterback Matt LoVecchio was sacked five times against Kentucky and many times was forced to get rid of the ball quickly. The pressure has cut into Johnson and his wide receivingrunning mate, junior Courtney Roby's, average yards per catch.\nJohnson is averaging 12.8 yards per catch in 2003. In 2002, the Clewiston, Fla., native averaged 19.7 yards per catch through four games. Roby's average is down as well from 23.6 yards a catch last year to 11.87 yards per grab this year.\nJohnson said the chemistry with LoVecchio isn't there yet, compared to last year with former quarterbacks Tommy Jones and Gibran Hamden.\n"It's fine, but it's not where Tommy and Gibran was because those guys have known me for three years," Johnson said. "With Matt, he's trying to get adjusted to a new system, and it's going to be hard for him until he gets used to everybody. We haven't had many balls thrown our way, but it just comes with time. Once (LoVecchio) adjusts, it will eventually happen."\nAt times it has happened for IU, but turning possessions in the red-zone into points has been a problem, according to DiNardo. The Hoosier rushing attack has been successful the last two games with two back-to-back 100 yard efforts from freshman BenJarvus Green-Ellis and senior Brian Lewis, respectively. But most of their success has been from 20 to 20 and not in the red zone.\nSophomore offensive lineman Adam Hines said this young Hoosier team is getting more confident every day but still faces growing pains.\n"With us being such a young team, we don't know how to adapt to adversity," Hines said. "Things like an interception, a bad pass, a sack, etc. It's easy to let off the gas pedal when everything is going your way and you are feeling good. Then all of a sudden something bad happens, and we are not used to being able to adapt to that."\nAdversity will stare IU in the face Saturday in the form of 110,000 plus fans and one of Michigan coach Lloyd Carr's top team's ever according to DiNardo. The Hoosier defense will have its hands full with Michigan's high powered offense of senior quarterback John Navarre, junior wide receiver Braylon Edwards, and senior running back Chris Perry. \nPerry led the nation in rushing prior to last week's loss to Oregon and now ranks second. Hines knows it's going to be a challenge Saturday.\n"I think every season is uphill," Hines said. "It doesn't matter if we had won last week, we would still have had to prepare tough for Michigan and then Michigan State. It's harder being 1-3 than 2-2. Big Ten season is here, and we have to go out every week and fight, because it's going to be tough for us."\n-- Contact staff writer John Rodgers at jprodger@indiana.edu.