Staying in Bloomington

Grabavoy decides to return to IU after tryout with a French pro team

Junior forward Ned Grabavoy was named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week on Tuesday after leading IU to its first adidas/IU Credit Union Championship in four years. He scored a goal and an assist to lead the Hoosiers to a 1-0-1 record on the weekend.\nThe scary part of the Hoosiers' 2003 push to the National Championship is that there almost was no Ned Grabavoy. \nWhile playing for an amateur team in Chicago over the summer, Grabavoy was approached by representatives from French team Monaco of the French first division, to consider trying out for and playing professional soccer instead of returning to Bloomington. \nLike any collegiate athlete offered money to leave school and play professionally, Grabavoy considered the offer and decided to travel to Europe and at least tryout with the club. \nUndersized at 5 foot 7 inches, what Grabavoy lacks in size he makes up for in pure skill as one of the best playmakers in collegiate soccer. During the week of try-outs out with Monaco, Grabavoy competed against talent not seen anywhere in college let alone on this continent. \n"I think I played well and fit in nicely over there," Grabavoy said. "But it was more of a lifestyle question for me."\nThe second-team All-American from New Lenox, Ill., came to IU by way of Lincoln-Way High School, where Grabavoy was the National Soccer Coach's Association of America National Player of the year and Illinois Player of the year in 1999 and 2000, leading his team to a jaw-dropping 54-2-2 mark during his junior and senior seasons.\nHampered by an injury freshman year, Grabavoy played in just 15 matches, but after a summer with the United States U-20 National team, Grabavoy returned to Bloomington as an even more dangerous offensive weapon for coach Yeagley.\n"Ned is one of the best playmakers in collegiate soccer," Yeagley said. "He is a game breaker and is an entertaining player to watch."\nAfter a week in France with Monaco, and a chance to ponder the offered contract, Grabavoy returned to Bloomington, a place he would decide -- at least for now -- to call his soccer home.\n"I was not upset at the contract offer, and in fact I was treated well over there," Grabavoy said "But I enjoy being around these (IU) coaches and players. I enjoy the atmosphere here, and I still feel like I need to develop my game."\nOne of the teammates eager to benefit from Grabavoy's presence on the field is sophomore mid-fielder Pat Yates.\n"Having Ned on the team is huge," Yates said. "He does things that just blow you away. He is also a co-captain, so it's just so huge to have him back."\nThis season Grabavoy is focused solely on leading a young but talented IU squad to the National Championship. His trip to France, not forgotten, will be in the back of his mind, he said.\n"Right now my focus is on this college season," Grabavoy said. "But when you go on a trip like that, you realize how unbelievable it is. Since I can play soccer well, I get the most amazing opportunity of my life"