Special teams breakdown and LoVecchio interception spot Wolverines 14-0 lead

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Two plays were the difference.\nWhen the first quarter ended, IU trailed 14-0. But the Hoosiers' defense had shut out Michigan's offense with two drive-stopping interceptions. \nA special teams miscue and a Matt LoVecchio interception nullified the defense's effort and proved to be the deciding margin in the 31-17 Wolverine win. \nThe first was a 69-yard punt return for a touchdown by Michigan sophomore Steve Breaston and a 60-yard interception return for a score by senior Jeremy LeSueur put IU in the 14-point hole. Michigan's high powered offense had yet to put a point on the board.\n"You don't need to spot Michigan 14 points in Ann Arbor," coach Gerry DiNardo said. "That's not a good way to get started."\nBreaston didn't get a good start to his return as sophomore Leonard Bryant appeared to have wrapped him up. \nBut Breaston broke free, avoided a few IU defenders and juked freshman punter Tyson Beattie on his way to the 69-yard score.\nBryant said it never should have happened.\n"I take a lot of that on my own shoulders," Bryant said. "I feel like nobody can block me when I'm at the (gunner) position. All respect to (Breaston), but he didn't deserve that play. I give him his props. He took it to the house and that's his job."\nBryant had done his job on Michigan's first possession as the cornerback picked off Michigan senior John Navarre's first down pass. It was one of four Wolverine turnovers in the first half and the first of two in the opening quarter as senior Duane Stone intercepted Navarre, as well.\nIU's offense couldn't capitalize on the good fortune the defense provided them. Following Michigan senior Chris Perry's fumble, IU's offense was set up in good field position at their own 39. \nBut four plays later, fortunes turned again for the Hoosiers as LoVecchio looked for junior receiver Travis Haney. Haney ran an out-pattern, and LoVecchio threw the ball too far to the inside.\nA few seconds later, LeSueur crossed the goal line and Michigan led by two touchdowns with IU's defense on the sideline. \n"The cornerback (LeSueur) made a good read on it," LoVecchio said. \nThe 14-point deficit discounted the IU defense's effort of holding Michigan to 17 points for the rest of the ball game.\nSenior safety Joe Gonzalez said IU played as hard as they could. \n"The only thing we can control on defense is ourselves," Gonzalez said. "We can't control what the offense is doing. But ultimately we can only control how we play. And those 14 points, however they got them, doesn't matter. We're still down."\nDiNardo said the two plays disrupted the flow of the game.\n"Their offense wasn't on the field and hadn't scored, and they were up 14-0," DiNardo said. "That's a tremendous advantage." \n-- Contact staff writer John Rodgers at jprodger@indiana.edu.