Sorority raises money for cancer

Members of the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority are hoping to break their own fund-raising record.\nLast year the sorority's philanthropy raised over $30,000 in donations for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation for breast cancer awareness. \nJunior Ashley Stetter, philanthropy chair, said her sorority is dedicated to helping the foundation again this year. \nThe sorority began this semester by writing letters to family and friends to ask for donations, and this past week it has raised over $4,000. The members are also collecting a portion from all the money spent at Jimmy John's from 4 to 10 p.m. Oct. 1 and a percentage of the cover charge at Kilroy's Bar & Grill, 502 E. Kirkwood Ave., and Kilroy's Sports Bar, 319 N. Walnut St., all night Oct. 2. \nA large amount of the money raised for the foundation is also made by ticket sales for their annual "Big Man on Campus" competition, Oct. 17, at the IU Auditorium.\nJunior Courtney Lindahl, head of publicity and IDS employee, said she hopes the competition will sell out of tickets this year.\n"Along with trying to sell tickets we will also have T-shirts available for $10 and calendars available for $5 at the show," Lindahl said.\nThe theme of this year's BMOC event is "Bad Boys," which will feature impersonations of some of the infamous men through history, including Clint Eastwood, James Bond and rapper Eminem. Each fraternity on campus will submit a representative of its chapter for the event. The competition winner will be chosen on the basis of ticket sales made by each contestant and his talent and interview portion of the competition. \nMatt McLellan, a participant representing Sigma Pi fraternity, said the event is fun for all students to attend. \n"(Students) should expect to see a very entertaining show, while also promoting a good cause," he said. \nSurvivors of breast cancer will be taking the stage during the event to tell their personal stories at the event.\n"There will also be a candlelight vigil during the show, which is important because it reminds people of why they are there," Stetter said.\nTickets for BMOC are available through the IU Auditorium ticket box office, the ZTA chapter at 331-5589 and from BMOC competitors.\n-- Contact staff writer Jacquelyn Janowski at jjanowsk@indiana.edu.