on the SIDELINES

Cubs drop into tie with Astros\nCINCINNATI -- Sammy Sosa climbed the career charts with two more homers, only to watch the Chicago Cubs let a big one slip away.\nSean Casey's homer capped a six-run sixth inning that silenced thousands of Chicago fans and rallied the Cincinnati Reds to a 9-7 victory Thursday night that left the NL Central tied up again.\nShortly after the Cubs lost, Houston beat Milwaukee 6-1 to pull into a first-place tie with three games to go. If they end up tied, their one-game playoff would be Monday at Wrigley Field.\nAfter two days of being shut out and having their fans drowned out by thousands of Cubs supporters, the Reds put a big kink in Chicago's quest for its first division title since 1989.\nThe Cubs seemed to be well on their way to their overriding goal -- taking a lead and momentum back to Wrigley -- until a left-for-dead offense suddenly revived.\nInjured Krenzel to sit Saturday\nCOLUMBUS, Ohio -- Injured Ohio State quarterback Craig Krenzel will be in uniform but not start in the No. 4 Buckeyes' Big Ten opener against Northwestern on Saturday.\nKrenzel, 18-1 as a starter, is recuperating from a hyperextended right elbow on his throwing arm. Scott McMullen will start in his place for the second week in a row, assistant coach Bill Conley said Thursday.\n"It's getting better slowly but surely," said Krenzel, who missed last week's 24-17 victory over Bowling Green. "The bye week next week is going to help the cause."\nThe Buckeyes (4-0) are idle before playing their first road game Oct. 11 at Wisconsin, which could allow Krenzel two more weeks of rest.\n"The doctors and trainers think it would be best for the recovery of my elbow to take another week off. It's not a setback," said Krenzel, who said he threw about 20 balls at practice Tuesday and about 40 on Wednesday before cutting back to 20 throws Thursday.\nThough Krenzel said he wasn't feeling any significant pain from throwing, team doctors recommended a lighter workout.\nKrenzel was hurt in the Sept. 13 triple-overtime victory over North Carolina State when his arm was pinched between two tacklers in the second quarter.\nMcMullen, a fifth-year senior, completed 10 of 16 passes for 118 yards and a touchdown against Bowling Green, but also threw an interception and lost a fumble.