'Old fool' musings…

Respecting elders is a staple of many cultures, religions and family traditions. If you are so fortunate as to have your grandparents still alive, other senior members of your family or friends in your life, you know very well they can be a treasure trove of information, wisdom and experience. Yet, too often, in the films and products of Hollywood, the cosmetic industry and other visual representations produced for general public consumption -- the appeal of youth is what is touted as most desirable. This permeates film, video, advertising and just about anything to do with the visual realm.\nAnd I can recall as an adolescent that every now and then you would hear the phrase "You old fool!" usually directed to an older person as a put-down phrase. Usually these words would be uttered by someone when the offender had done something that resulted in some sort of mistake occurring or had the audacity to add their "2 cents worth" to some discussion. The majority of the time, the voice that would speak these words would be an individual younger than the so-called offender.\nHowever, getting older, one begins to appreciate many of the old sayings, the experiences and wisdom of one's older relations and friends. One begins to realize that he or she doesn't have to "reinvent the wheel" because a more seasoned pro can tell him or her how to do a task the correct way ... that the notion of "work smart, not hard" will mean you can learn at the same time you are accomplishing some task or duty. In fact, some of us might recognize that when our parents were disciplining us (with love of course) and told our young ears that a "hard head makes for a soft behind," they were doing so to teach us manners and proper behavior that would make us act in a civilized fashion later (lest our posterior be "softer" at the end of the day).\nIt would behoove us all to listen and take note, whether student, politician, administrator, whatever our station in life at the time, that those who have gone on before us can teach us a thing or two (and probably a lot more than we care to admit at times). In fact, we stand on the shoulders of our senior citizens, individually and collectively. Time and again as you read the newspaper, hear the stories of the world on radio or television, if you pause, reflect, analyze and do some research, it becomes very interesting and at times disheartening how "those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it." \nYet despite this cycle, the human condition does make great strides and does learn. Despite the many obstacles which can thwart progress, great achievements and discoveries can and do result. And once the euphoria and revelry of some breakthrough product or wondrous event subsides, it often is the role of history and the historians to capture that the reality of the present is often a direct result of past experiences. It may seem that no one is paying attention to many senior citizens, but they should know that there are many of the younger generation who appreciate, respect and embrace all that they have to offer. \nThe comedian Richard Pryor put it best in one of his comedy albums from the mid-1970s, which had as a protagonist, an older male who was the focal point in a story he was telling to a raucous live audience when he said, "You don't get old being no fool." \nHow true, how true …