Monks stage fund-raiser

Proceeds from concert with Tibetan artists will go toward monastery construction

Over the course of a year, 10 Drepung Gomang Monks from southern India will cram into a small van together, where they will span about 20 states and several cities. With just enough money for food and essentials, the monks plan to spread their message of peace and compassion around the country, while also hoping to generate funds for their monastery.\nThe monks begin their fourth North American tour in Bloomington this week, where they will take part in the dedication ceremony of the Tibetan Culture Center's new Chamtse Ling Temple (which translates to "field of love and compassion.")\nWith the anticipated arrival of the Dalai Lama for the temple's dedication, the monks, along with several other performers, will take part in a benefit concert at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater to help raise money for the temple.\n"Students should attend because there's much more to life than just grinding away at the books and partying," said Mary Pattison, coordinator of the 2003-04 Drepung Gomang Monk North American tour. "They can see people in action who are dedicated to compassion and those who attend will get a real taste of quality in life."\nPattison highlighted the monk's overall contentment with life, despite owning very few material possessions.\n"These monks are very cheerful and happy people who live a wonderful life of service," Pattison said.\nProceeds from the concert will go toward the Chamtse Ling temple, which will house a small Buddhist community providing religious instruction to the public. The interfaith temple will also host conferences and seminars that include the world's religious traditions.\n"[The concert] is an important event because it's one of the best opportunities where the public can experience Tibetan culture in both a spiritual and social way," said Ngawang Gyatso, a resident monk at the cultural center who is traveling with the tour. "It means a great deal to us since we are refugees, and trying to preserve our culture is a difficult thing."\nEach year, about 150 monks fleeing Chinese-occupied Tibet arrive at the monastery.\n"We need funds to keep our culture alive," Gyatso said.\nSaturday's concert will also feature "The Dharma Bums" with Garth Hudson on keyboards. Founded in the early 1970s, The Dharma Bums have traveled around the world, including India several times.\nAlso making an appearance is Dadon, a famous Tibetan recording artist who moved to the U.S. after establishing herself in China. Her music raises awareness about Tibet and she has performed with popular acts like U2, Dave Matthews, the Beastie Boys and Sheryl Crow.\nRobert Thurman, a noted scholar, professor and close friend of the Dalai Lama will serve as the master of ceremonies for Saturday's show. \nThurman, father of popular Hollywood actress Uma Thurman, has lectured around the world about the importance of Tibetan culture. He founded New York City's Tibet House with Richard Gere in 1987, a nonprofit institution devoted to preserving Tibet and its people.\n"Overall, this is a very spiritual event," said Mike Pittman, a volunteer at the Tibetan Cultural Center. "The concert is a worthwhile experience because sometimes as Americans we are limited in our views and experiences. The show will be sheer energy and an extension of spirituality."\n-- Contact staff writer Maura Halpern at mhalpern@indiana.edu.