'Kiss Me Kate' opens IU Auditorium with nearly flawless performance

It's too darn hot! It's too darn hot!" \nThese words penned by Cole Porter could have been about his musical "Kiss Me Kate" as well as in its lyrics. If the play had been any hotter, the curtains of this bold and suggestive show would have caught fire.\nWritten and set in the late 1940s, "Kiss Me Kate" tells the story of a pair of stubborn actors who bring their on-again, off-again relationship on stage with them as they open a musical based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew." Tempers flare and egos take flight as the couple deals with jealousy, professional pride and the sting of past insults. \nThough the show has been running for many years, it has not lost its effect on audiences, as was apparent by Wednesday night's performance. Rife with innuendo and filled with witty word-play, "Kiss Me Kate" kept the audience in stitches with its bumbling, star-struck gangsters, slapstick portrayal of Shakespearean lore and misbehaving young actors. The show left many wondering how such material could be allowed in 1948.\nThe show was nearly flawless. The only complaints that could be made would be about some minor glitches in the audio system. Also, actress Lori Eve Marinacci took her portrayal of the dumb blonde "Lois Lane" just a little too far when she flubbed a couple of lines during "Always True To You (In My Fashion)." But she easily made up for her squeakiness with a bubbly performance which some might describe as downright boiling. \nMarinacci's castmates were also in fine form. They handled the challenge of actors playing very different roles with gusto and energy. Though his character was truly full of hot air, Dexter James Brigham (Fred/Petrucio) used every ounce of his bravado to fuel a deep, rich voice which made the rafters ring, and several female patrons fan themselves enthusiastically. Why did they even bother hooking this man up to a microphone?\nLead actress Emily Herring (Lilli/Katherine) also put on a stunning performance. She carried herself with grace even while being thrown about the stage. Her voice and sense of comic timing were impeccable. The entire cast shared an incredible passion on stage, beginning with the opening number. \nOverall, the music, lighting, costumes and actors blended together into a stunning production. It will come as no surprise to anyone who saw the show if the fire department is called for closing night.