IU Athletic Hall of Fame to induct five former champs

Five former standout athletes from IU will be inducted into the IU Athletic Hall of Fame in a ceremony and dinner on Friday evening, according to Ricki Chastain of the Varsity Club. They will add to the already 119 members of the IU Athletic Hall of Fame.\nSam Bell, former track and cross country coach (1970-98), Calbert Cheaney, men's basketball (1990-93), Colette Goudreau-Murphy, women's cross country and track (1984-88), Earl Mitchell, men's cross country and track (1942-47) and Anthony Thompson, football (1986-89) will all be honored at the ceremony and dinner at Assembly Hall. The five will also be honored in Memorial Stadium on September 20 at half time of the IU-Kentucky football game.\nBell is well known for his 11 Big Ten indoor track and field titles, eight outdoor league titles and three cross country crowns. Hall of fame inductions are nothing new to this coach -- he's already a 1992 National Track and Field Hall of Fame and 2000 U.S. Track Coaches Hall of Fame inductee. \nThe most prolific scorer in the Big Ten Conference and Indiana basketball history, Cheaney's 2,613 points helped him reach hall of fame status. He was a three time all-conference selection and the 1993 national collegiate player of the year. Cheaney is the only four-time team MVP in Hoosier history and was the sixth pick of the 1993 NBA Draft by the Washington Bullets. The 6-7 forward/guard now plays for the Golden State Warriors.\nGoudreau-Murphy, a five-time cross country and track All-American, was Indiana's first women's cross country All American when she took 11th at the 1985 NCAA Championship. The runner still holds Hoosier school records in multiple categories.\nMitchell was captain of the 1942 cross-country team that finished tied for first in the nation. He was the first to win two Big Ten cross-country individual championships (1942 and 1946). Mitchell made headlines in 1943 when he won the Wanamaker Mile with a time of 4:08.6, 1.2 seconds away from a world record. \nDespite finishing second in the 1989 Heisman Trophy voting, Thompson was still named the Walter Camp Foundation's Player of the Year, the AFCA "Coaches Choice" Player of the Year and won the Maxwell Award as the nation's finest college football player. Thompson held the Division I record for career touchdowns with 65 until the 1998 season.\nChastain said Bell, Goudreau-Murphy, Mitchell and Thompson are all scheduled to attend the ceremony and dinner, but that Cheaney would be unable to attend and was sending a family member to represent him.