Decision has fans wondering

This is when you're going to hear from the experts -- when you're 1-3." \nThese are the words of coach Gerry DiNardo in the wake of Saturday's 34-17 loss to Kentucky. And while I'm no expert, I'm more than willing to throw in my two cents (and maybe a few extra pieces of change).\nSo I'm just going to cut to the chase and go to the Cam Cameron Moment of the Game: With a little over two minutes remaining in the third quarter and the Hoosiers trailing 20-10, the Wildcats faced a third and goal from the 7-yard line. There was no doubt the game was in the balance. \nKentucky quarterback Jared Lorenzen then hit a receiver who was taken down at the 1.\nHo ho ho, what is this? A break for the Hoosiers! Kentucky was flagged for offensive pass interference, a 15-yard infraction. But wait -- DiNardo has elected to decline the penalty. The collective sound of jaws dropping sweeps across Memorial Stadium, save the Kentucky fans, who are likely laughing hysterically.\nNeedless to say, Kentucky scores on fourth down, and the game is over. \nDiNardo's reasoning was that he thought the ball would be spotted at the 3-yard line, and Kentucky would elect to kick a field goal. But with the game on the line, the first words out of DiNardo's mouth should have been "Where is the spot?" \nAt least he was honest enough to admit his blunder, saying "If I had to do it over again, I obviously wouldn't have put the ball on the 1-yard line." But in life there is no rewind button, and alas, there will be no opportunity to do it again. It'll just go down as another chapter in the world's second-longest book, "A History of IU Football Ineptitude," the longest being "The Chicago Cubs Guide to Stranding Runners on Third Base."\nThe difference came when the Hoosiers scored with four minutes left in the game. They trailed by two scores rather than one, which forced them to attempt an onside kick. The defense was playing well enough that they could have stopped the Wildcats and given the offense a chance to win the game if they had gotten the opportunity.\nAlmost Big Play: IU could have grabbed the momentum early in the game. With Kentucky on its own 3-yard line and facing third down, Lorenzen threw a pass that hit Hoosier safety Herana-Daze Jones right in the hands. An interception would have resulted in an easy stroll into the end zone. Of course, the play of Jones and the defense set up the offense for several good opportunities to score in the first quarter (they got the ball twice in Kentucky territory), but they were unable to capitalize.\nJinxed: I'm not sure whether junior wide receiver Courtney Roby has crossed the path of a black cat, walked under a ladder, broken a mirror, or all of the above. For the second straight week, he scored an impressive touchdown, only to see it called back on a penalty. This week, it was on a 58-yard reverse. Roby made a nifty move (yes, nifty) to get past the defender that met him in the backfield, and it was off to the races from there -- until a holding call brought it back. \nTo add injury to insult, Roby was knocked out of the game returning the kickoff after Kentucky's fourth-and-goal touchdown in the third quarter.\nFeel Good Moment: For the first time since last season, senior strong safety Joe Gonzalez saw action in a game. Losing to Kentucky made it a tough pill for the Hoosiers' elder statesman to swallow, though.\n"It felt good in the first half, and then we started not playing as well as we could have in the second half," Gonzalez said. "However many downs I play doesn't matter. If we're winning games, that's all I care about."\nIU MVP: Punter Tyson Beattie put together another solid performance, putting three punts inside the Kentucky 3-yard line. Winning the field position battle should keep the Hoosiers close in a lot of games this year, and combined with a lucky break or two, could allow IU to pull off an upset.