Around The Arts

Week celebrates Tibetan influence\nToday marks the beginning of the Spirit of Tibet week, which celebrates the influence Tibetan arts have on American culture as well as raises awareness of the plight of Tibet. The territory has been under Chinese occupation since 1947. The week's events include discussions, lectures, musical performances and films. The week will conclude with a temple dedication by Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama of Tibet and 1989 Nobel Peace Laureate, Sunday. For more information, visit www.tibetancc.com or call \n334-7046.\nCommunity poem invites diversity\nToday is the deadline for submitting a poem for the community collective, which aims to capture the diversity of Bloomington's residents. The project, "Nosotros: Latino Voices of Bloomington" Community Poem, invites community members to complete the statement "I Am ... "/"Yo Soy ... " Once submissions have been collected, individual statements will be woven together into a collective community poem which will be displayed at venues in town in English and Spanish. Statements can be submitted in either English or Spanish and should be limited to no more than four sentences. Submissions should include the author's name and contact information, which will remain confidential. For more information, contact Jessica Hernandez at 349-3467 or hernandj@city.bloomington.in.us or visit www.bloomingtonlatino.net.\nSingers needed for local chamber choir \nThe Bloomington Chamber Singers will hold auditions for new members Tuesday and on September 9. Openings are available in all voice parts. A prepared solo is encouraged but not required; an accompanist will be provided. Bloomington Chamber Singers participate in weekly rehearsals Tuesdays, from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. For more information, contact Gerry Sousa, music director at 876-7342.\nIU Soul Revue seeks musicians, vocalists \nThe IU Soul Revue is a full ensemble, featuring male and female lines, horns, rhythm section, at times augmented by strings and dancers. The group was created in 1971 as an effort to blend R&B, soul, funk and contemporary urban black popular music. \nThe group seeks instrumentalists and vocalists. Musicians should bring their instruments and prepare to play solo and accompany in a combo setting on an R&B or soul piece. Singers should prepare one a cappella piece or bring in a recording to sing along with. \nThe auditions will be held at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Neal-Marshall Education Center Grand Hall. For more information, contact Professor Tyron Cooper, the group's leader, at 855-5427 or tycopper@indiana.edu.