Student trustee selected

IUPUI graduate student chosen by Gov. O'Bannon

Graduate student Erin Haag has just become one of the most powerful people at IU.\nHaag, a 25-year-old studying molecular biology and biochemistry at IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, is the latest addition to the IU board of trustees. Gov. Frank O'Bannon appointed her last week.\n"She brings wonderful credentials," said Robin Gress, executive secretary to the board of trustees. "I think she's gonna do a terrific job."\nAs student trustee, Haag will be responsible for helping to determine the direction IU goes for the next two years -- the duration of her term.\n"The student trustee has full rights and responsibilities," board of trustees President Fred Eichhorn said.\n"A student trustee's job is like any other trustees job," Gress said. "The only difference is her length of term. She is one of nine fully vested trustees."\nEichorn and the other seven trustees have three-year terms while the student trustee's term is limited to two years.\nHaag said she is excited about the opportunity and looking forward to representing IU's student body.\n"I'm hoping to represent (students) as best as I can," Haag said. "I really want to be open and available."\nHaag said she plans on accomplishing this by communicating with students through the student trustee Web site and elected student representatives like IU Student Association President Casey Cox. She said she also plans on contacting her predecessor, Sacha Willsey, whose term ended July 1.\n"I'm sure she will be a wealth of information," Haag said.\nHaag already has contacted a few of the trustees including Jamie Belanger, who was the new kid on the board before she came along.\n"We had a very nice, long conversation," Haag said. "Everybody's been warm and welcoming."\nHaag will be oriented to the position some time between now and the trustees organizational meeting Aug. 14.\n"There will be an orientation session with me and some of the other trustees and then more of the routine will be explained by Robin Gress, the executive secretary," Eichhorn said.\nHaag will have to become familiar not only with all eight IU campuses and the way the board works, but also with state code.\n"We base our orientation on the extent of the knowledge an individual brings to the role," Gress said. "It's a really complicated job. It may take several months to become conversant with the process. (IU) is a pretty big structure to get your arms around. Other trustees will mentor her."\nHaag was chosen out of 31 students who applied for the position in a multi-step process that included interviews with the governor's staff.\n"I had the time and the ability to represent students and figured I had to go for it," Haag said.\nGress said Haag will be spending between 10 and 20 hours a week at her job, but that will abate with time as she learns the position. \n"Trustees must be willing to devote large blocks of time to the position." Eichhorn said.\nEichhorn also had a few words of advice for Haag: "Listen carefully and don't be afraid to speak up. There aren't any bad questions. And all the trustees should be as helpful and responsible as possible."\nHaag has quite a job in front of her and she can use all the advice she can get.\n"I haven't done anything to this magnitude before," Haag said.\nBut most of all, she said she wants students to know that she's committed to excelling in her new position as their representative on the board.\n"I want anyone to feel free to contact me at anytime," she said.