Job fairs inform and entertain

Festivals to feature on- and off-campus employment options

Sophomore Meghan Seto walks through the College Mall with her arms weighed down. She's been to almost every store and has spent hours in the mall.\nYet, Seto's arms aren't weighed down with shopping bags. She has her hands filled with job applications she has collected in her search for a part-time job.\n"I just went everywhere," Seto said. "I've been desperate to find a good place to work."\nWith students settling back into Bloomington a priority on the minds of many is employment. But with so many options available, it can become overwhelming. The Student Jobs Fair and CareerFest held today can make the career path easier to navigate.\nCareerFest, in the Career Development Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the corner of 10th and Jordan, is meant to inform students about the opportunities at the center. Promoting a fun-filled festival atmosphere, games, free food and music will highlight the event.\n"We try to get people to come for all of the fun activities and we hope that they'll stay and get a tour of the center," said Kathy Matthies, associate director of the Arts and Sciences Placement Office.\nThe Career Development Center, located at 625 N. Jordan Ave, provides resources for students to find the best job for them. Internship postings, career counseling and placement tests are all offered at the center.\n"It can really be a great tool for students who have no idea what to do," Matties said. "We can help them decide on a major, or help them right before graduation, or even with a part-time job. It can be very useful."\nStudents looking to be hired right away should attend one of two sessions of today's jobs fairs. Both held at Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union, a Work Study Jobs Fair will take place from 9 to 11 a.m. and a Non Work Study Jobs Fair will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. \n"The Jobs Fair is a great way to meet with employers and just find out what place might be right for you," Student Employment Coordinator Jeremy Mixell said.\nMixell said all campus employers will be on hand at the Fair. He suggests that attendees dress professionally and bring along a notepad to take down names and numbers.

-- Contact editor Adam Aasen at aaasen@indiana.edu.