This one has few 'Cheap Thrills'

It's hard to root against Cheap Trick. It recorded one of rock's all-time great live albums, 1979's Live at Budokan. Ever since, the band brought its show to just about anybody who has wanted to hear it, including Bloomington five months ago.\nIts gestures towards the audience -- I still dream of catching one of Rick Nielsen's guitar picks -- are magnanimous and genuine.\nYet, to give back for all the thrills and excitement the band has given us, we need to lock the doors of every record studio in the world. Special One marks 11 straight studio duds since 1979's Dream Police.\nSpecial One sounds like Cheap Trick's attempt at a mature adult rock record. Ugh. The lyrics are often treacly. Musically, the album is dominated by soaring, overly atmospheric torch balladry. \nInstead, we have inconsistent, weird production with Steve Albini, Dan the Automator(?!) and Jack Douglas, the band's best co-conspirator trying to help, but just making things more jumbled. Also, charismatic frontman Robin Zander's vocals sound pinched. \nIf you think Cheap Trick reached the height of its powers when it recorded its huge 1988 hit ballad "The Flame," then be wary of the following two things: (1) You're wrong, and (2) You might find they even come up short of that standard.