Noblesville residents recover from worst area of storm damage

Piles of discarded belongings were dumped on top of piles of heartache as Noblesville residents began the long process of regaining their lives after last week's record-setting flood left many of their homes underwater. \nNoblesville, located just northeast of Indianapolis, is situated on the banks of the White River. Torrential downpours for the greater part of last week brought the White River, which reaches flood stage at 14 feet, to a record level of 21.84 feet, putting this years flood just short of the all time high of 23.8 feet in 1913.\nNoblesville resident Debbie Koch saidshe has never seen the typical water level reach these heights.\n"You see a little bit of water come up the streets but never in the homes," she said.\nAn estimated 70 to 90 homes were affected by the flooding, with approximately 40 residents needing to evacuate completely. The Hamilton County Red Cross Station, located on the banks of the White River itself, has been assisting the residents in any way possible to help expedite the cleanup process. \nResidents worked hard this past weekend to assess the damage, empty out their remaining belongings and tear up carpets. Water-stained furniture and multicolored rugs decorated the front lawns of many of the houses as the residents sat and waited for insurance adjusters to arrive and observe the damage.\n"I watched them take out an antique mirror that was 100 years old, and it was completely ruined," Kocher said.\nMany of the flood victims cannot afford to insure themselves against flooding. These people are forced to clean out their homes and cut their losses, which in some cases might end up being their entire house. \n"It's going to be a waiting process," said local resident Dennis Denoss.\nMost residents were given fair warning of the flooding, so they were able to save most of their belongings. However, many homeowners, including Denoss, said they doubt their homes, due to foundation damage, will still be a sound structure. \nDenoss, who is lucky enough to be insured, said he will most likely have to condemn his house and move in with his son Rich Williams, who lives next door in an elevated house.\nMany of the afflicted residents, however, are not as fortunate as Denoss. If their house is lost, then they will have only the Red Cross as their last crutch to lean on. \nKristi Werner, a Red Cross worker, and her colleagues have been working to provide the afflicted families with shelter and food until they are able to move back into their homes. \n"It's just been devastating for the people involved, but the community support has been amazing," Werner said. "Neighbor helping neighbor, agencies doing anything they can and businesses helping." \nThe damage has brought the Noblesville community together to help one another in spite of their own losses and hardships.\n"Everyone is still pretty much in shock," Kocher said. "The flooding has caused a lot of damage, but it has allowed us to come together as a community."\nShe and many other residents have shown great resilience to the disaster. Kocher said that it is bad now but in a couple of days it will be like nothing happened -- everyone will move back into their homes and the children will start playing in the streets and on the playground again.