IU Art Museum has hidden treasures

Many of us walk by it every day on our way to class, but what exactly is in the IU Art Museum? \nInside this building with no 90-degree angles -- which was designed by I.M. Pei and Partners -- are three permanent collections displaying Arts of the Western World, Ancient and Asian collections and art from Africa, Oceania and the Americas. These collections are always on display but often get new and highlighted works. \n"This art museum has a great collection; it is very representative of Western art," museum patron Juliet Foreshaw said.\nThere is also a special exhibition that recently displayed 20th-century German artist Max Beckman's sketches, portraits and prints as well as an exhibit of woven Asante and Ewe cloths made in West Africa, many of which were borrowed from local collectors. Although this exhibition closed Sunday, another special exhibit should be on display soon.\nThe art museum was established in 1941, but it has been at its current location only since its completion in 1982. It has since become one of the foremost university art museums in the country according to the IUAM Web site. The collection is represented by 35,000 paintings, sculptures, photographs, pieces of jewelry and textiles. They represent nearly every culture and period throughout history.\nThe first floor of the gallery has a collection that varies from 17th-century art works showing spiritual concern and sacred values to modern and contemporary collections and art ranging all the way up until the present day. There is also a collection of European and American Impressionist works created by artists such as Monet and Caillebotte.\nThe Ancient and Asian collection contains pieces representing the classical world of the Mediterranean within a span of 7,000 years. As the collection shifts to the Asian collection pieces from Tibet, Nepal, India and Japan, it includes paintings, bronzes and sculptures across the gallery.\nThe third floor gallery takes a different turn as it embraces pieces such as maps, photomurals and labels from Africa, Oceania and the Americas. An eye-catching display of African art is arranged geographically, showing the diversity among the ethnic and stylistic appeal of the objects. The third floor also offers a focal point, or a small changing exhibit, which complements courses being taught at IU and offers a chance for students as well as the public to take a closer look at specific cultures and objects. \n"The IU art museum has an amazing collection, including an encyclopedic collection -- major works of artists from many different geographic locations," said Nan Brewer, curator for Works on Paper. "We have one of the top collegiate collections of African art." \nThe galleries also include art from profound artists such as Pablo Picasso and Claude Monet. Graduate student Mike Butterworth said he enjoyed the art of the well-known artists.\n"This collection of art is very impressive," he said. "I'm very surprised by the range of artists and exhibits."\nDuring the month of July, the art museum will feature a series of events entitled "Jazz in July." These free performances will take place sporadically at 6:30 p.m. on Fridays through July 25 at the IU Art Museum Sculpture Terrace, located on the second floor. For more information, call (812) 855-5445. \nThe museum hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Admission is free, but donations are encouraged and appreciated. For more information on the IU Art museum visit www.indiana.edu/~iuam/