Family Fun at the Monroe County Fair

Week-long event gives educational, entertaining options through 4-H

The 47th Monroe County Fair kicked off this past weekend as members of the community flocked to the fairgrounds to soak up the fun, food and festival. The fair will continue to run every day through Saturday. \nThe fair started in 1955 as an event geared toward the 4-H program and has grown progressively over the years into an event that brings the entire county together. \n"It's an educational program," said Monroe County Fair Board Treasurer Pat Haley. "It's a fun place to be. It has good clean entertainment."\nThe purpose of the Monroe County Fair is not just to provide fun and entertainment for local residents; it is to include an education directly within the fun and entertainment. By intertwining the educational aspect, the fair still maintains its strong ties to the 4-H program. \nChildren of all ages gather at the fair with a menagerie of animals, all of which they have raised themselves, to present them for judging and sale. By doing this the children are able to bring their experience and education full circle by seeing the animal from its birth to its sale to a new owner or butcher at the fair. The kids suffer from the loss, but the learning experience from the 4-H program will last a lifetime.\n"4-H kids just don't get in trouble. It's a wholesome family bringing up," said Monroe County Fair Board president Kenneth Treadway, whose son, Kevin, participated in the 4-H program for 10 years.\nHe said he wanted to be a large part of this year's fair for his son.\n"I just feel like giving something back for (Kevin) being in (4-H) 10 years."\nFrom the animal auctions to demolition derbies, the Monroe County Fair has a full lineup of events from dawn till dusk everyday. The fun started this weekend with the amateur talent show Saturday night. Contestants from all over Monroe County came to perform dance routines and belt out verses of "Freedom." \n"They work really hard all year long, and some feel that they can go on with this as a career," talent show co-chair Laura Newton said. \nThe winners of the individual county fairs throughout Indiana are given the opportunity to compete at the Indiana State Fair, August 6-17 in Indianapolis.\nThe fair also offers a wide variety of professional talent, including local musicians Claudia Nygaard and Lloyd Wood.