Around the Arts

'Prince of Pops' to lead Summer Music Festival orchestra\nMaestro Erich Kunzel, who has led the National Symphony Orchestra during "A Capitol Fourth" for the past 13 years, will conduct the Summer Music Festival orchestra during a unique fusion of film and music at 8 p.m. at the Musical Arts Center.\nThe film "Alexander Nevsky" will be accompanied by the orchestra, who will perform Sergei Prokofiev's entire score to the 1938 Russian nationalist film. There will be a preconcert talk delivered by Malcolm Brown, professor emeritus of musicology, in the MAC Mezzanine. \nGeneral admission tickets for the performance are available for $14 ($8 for IU students) at the MAC box office, TicketMaster at 333-9955, or online at www.music.indiana.edu/publicity/summer_fest/tickets.shtml.\nSchool of Music grad to enter 'New World' \nJustin Bartels, who will graduate from the IU School of Music in August, is making a move many in the School of Music would love to make. After he graduates he'll head to Miami Beach and the New World Symphony, one of the nation's leading orchestral academies. \nBartels is one of only two new trumpet players chosen for the 85-member symphony, which trains the most gifted graduates of prestigious music programs for leadership positions in other ensembles around the world. He credits his education at the School of Music with preparing him for the New World Symphony and the intensive schedule of individual and ensemble coaching, domestic and international touring and recording activity it entails.\n"IU was so demanding, day in and day out, not just when you had a concert to perform," Bartels said in a news release. "All of the instructors here put you through intense training because they expect you to get it right. Now I'll be playing the same type of music (with the New World Symphony), but it will be that more intense. We'll be rehearsing all the time."\nJustin Bartels will perform a recital at 6 p.m. Aug. 9 in the School of Music's Auer Hall. The concert is free and open to the public.\nFormer curator for Smithsonian dies\nWASHINGTON -- Robert W. Read, a former curator in the botany department of the National Museum of Natural History, has died.\nRead, 71, who worked at the Smithsonian museum from 1973 to 1989, died of heart failure July 15 in Hollywood, Fla., the museum said Tuesday.\nRead had been active in land preservation projects in Collier County, Fla., following his retirement. He was founding chairman of the Naples Botanical Garden and did research at the Fairchild Tropical Garden in Coral Gables.\nAn expert on tropical plants, Read was a native of Woodbury, N.J., and held degrees from the University of Miami, Cornell University and the University of the West Indies.\nJudge orders man to read 'Mockingbird'\nWEST CHESTER, Pa. -- A judge handed down a novel sentence to a defendant with a lengthy rap sheet: He ordered him to read "To Kill a Mockingbird."\nJudge Juan Sanchez gave William Fowlkes, 46, of West Chester, his own copy of Harper Lee's classic novel and instructed him to read it and write an essay about how his "disgusting" behavior relates to the book.\n"I have read the book many times because I think it is a powerful book," Sanchez said. "It captures the life of a lawyer who (gains) the respect of other people in turbulent times."\nFowlkes has been arrested numerous times, on charges including criminal trespassing, harassment and aggravated assault, over the last two decades. He was arrested most recently in March when West Chester police responded to a report of a disturbance.\nPolice said Fowlkes spit on an officer and kicked the windows inside the patrol car, shattering the glass and bending the metal holding the windows.\nSanchez also sentenced Fowlkes to four to 12 months in prison and ordered him to pay $350 in restitution in fines earlier this month.\nHe said he hoped the defendant would pay particular attention to the scene in which Atticus Finch, the novel's noble protagonist, reacts stoically when another character spits at him.\nThe Pulitzer Prize-winning novel centers on the wrongful conviction of a black man, defended by Finch, for raping a white woman.