LPGA tournament kicks off

Junior Karen Dennison set to play on professional tour in Giant Eagle Classic

Karen Dennison, a junior and member of the IU golf team, is all set to make her professional debut Friday at the LPGA Giant Eagle Classic in Vienna, Ohio. The talented Dennison will have her hands full during this tournament that also features last weekend's McDonald's LPGA Championship winner, Annika Sorenstam and runner-up, Grace Parks.\nWith the Squaw Creek Country Club being the venue once again this year, the tournament promises to be a sensational affair. This private, well-maintained course will be quite challenging with its water hazards and numerous trees, and it will cause players to alter their shots very often. The rough, woods and water hazards account for over 70 percent of the entire course and so the layout of the par-72 course also ensures that it plays longer than it actually looks.\n"My ability to play better chip shots on the par-4s has consistently improved, and it shall be quite entertaining to see how I actually perform in such an atmosphere. Along with that, I am really looking forward to the opportunity of meeting Annika and possibly playing alongside her," Dennison said.\nThere are 10 par-4 holes on this course, and these should work in Dennison's favor. Her average score of 3.97 in par-4 holes was the highest in the nation among women collegiate golfers. Dennison is one of two people in this tournament with sponsor's exemptions to play, and she will join ex-Hoosiers Michele Redman and Angela Buzminski in the field of 144.\nDennison was awarded this exemption primarily on the basis of her individual accomplishments at IU. Tournament Manager Tim Wicinski said he was pleased with Dennison's addition to the list of players for the tournament this year. \n"I am glad we were able to pick Karen from among the list of other candidates," Wicinski said. "Being in a Big Ten state will further exemplify our decision to select her, and as for competitiveness, her accolades speak for themselves." \nWicinski also added that the weekend might see higher scores as compared to last year, but the greens still will be rolling nicely. \nMeanwhile, the 2003 All-American from IU will have her own mini fan base on hand when she tees off Friday, with friends, family and teammates cheering on. Dennison played a practice round with Suzy Whaley and multiple-winner Donna Andrews.\n"I got to play with an All-American," Whaley said after completing the round. "Karen is such a great person and was fun to play with. She has a tremendous future ahead of her."\nThe entire field of 144 will be competing for the $1 million prize purse of the tournament. The tournament might be aired on regional networks for the first couple of rounds, but the TV schedule is still unconfirmed. The stage is definitely set for a good weekend of competitive golf at the Squaw Creek Country Club in the confines of Vienna, Ohio.