Saturday, June 15

IU athletes in Championship

IU is sending a promising group of athletes to the USA Track and Field Championships June 26 in Palo Alto, Calif. Stanford University will play host to the meet, which is slated to end June 29. \nFor some IU athletes, the meet is their last competition in an Indiana uniform; for others, it is an opportunity to gather elite competitive experience to use in their continuing careers at IU. For more, the meet serves as a prep for next year's Olympic Trials. The USATF Championships serves as the Olympic Trials in Olympic years, like 2004. \nFor senior hurdler Danielle Carruthers, who was the top American in her runner-up NCAA finish last weekend, the meet is a chance to qualify for the World Championships and also to add to the experience she gained in limited international competition on the European circuit last summer. She will be looking to grab one of the top three spots next year in attempting to make the Olympic team. \nRanked eighth in a tie with former Ohio State runner Donica Merriman, Carruthers has an excellent chance at improving upon her performance at the NCAAs, where she finished with a 12.89. \n"I'd like to go 12.7 next week," Carruthers said after the NCAA meet. "And with the competition that will be there, I'll need to go that fast." \nShe will face stiff adversity in the likes of such stars as two-time 100-meter Olympic Gold Medal winner (1992, 1996) Gail Devers and Miesha McKelvy, the current U.S. leader. \nSenior sprinter Rachelle Boone has the option of either or both of two events. She can compete in the 100-meter event, where her NCAA Regional time of 11.22 has her ranked 11th. The current U.S. leader is Kelli White with a time of 10.96. \nHigh school phenom Allyson Felix leads the nation (22.11) in Boone's other option, the 200-meter, where she is ranked ninth nationally with a time of 22.87 from Big Tens.\nThe distance group is sending five athletes to Palo Alto. Freshmen Jessica Gall (5,000-meter) and Kelly Siefker (3,000-meter steeplechase) will make the trip to run in the USATF Junior Championships. To compete in the Junior sections, an athlete must not be older than 19 in December. \nOn the men's side, Tom Burns will compete in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Among the athletes to watch in the steeple is IU school-record holder Tom Chorny, who graduated in 1999 and won this meet in 2001. Burns and the other men's distance qualifiers, twins Sean and John Jefferson, opted to avoid stressful travel and stayed out West this past week, spending time in Lake Tahoe, prepping their legs with easy runs and fast strides. They explained that before the final meet of the year, rest is the biggest factor. \n"We've been tapering down for the meet," Burns said, "We did a 400-meter repeat session the other day, and that's all we'll do, besides a few strides before the meet."\nSophomore All-American John Jefferson is ranked ninth in the 1,500-meter and looks to improve on his disappointing finish at NCAAs. He is one of the men's brightest hopes for a top finish. With only three seconds separating him and national leader Jason Lunn, John has the potential to hunt for a top spot. His twin brother Sean, a freshman -- due to redshirting last year's outdoor season -- recently learned that he had qualified in the 5,000 meters on the strength of his 13:58 at Mt. SAC in April. With sizzling finishing kicks in their repertoire, the twins have the tools to wreak havoc. \nIU also has several athletes in the field events. Senior All-American and Big Ten Champion hammer thrower Adam Judge is ranked 14th with his Big Ten record throw of 68.09 meters and will aim for 70 meters, which could place him in the top five. \nThe IU athlete with perhaps the best chance of advancing to the IAAF World Championships in Paris is 2003 NCAA Champion spearchucker Irina Kharun. Her winning 202-foot hurl vaulted her to fifth in the world. In attempting to qualify for Worlds through her native Ukraine, she will also look to add to the legacy of her father, one of the most celebrated javelin throwers in Soviet history. \nThe IU jumping corps also is scheduled to send two athletes on the men's and women's sides. Senior Rose Richmond, the 2002 NCAA runner-up in the long jump, is tied for sixth nationally and will be searching for redemption after her frustrating finish at NCAAs. \nSophomore All-American triple jumper Aarik Wilson seeks better fortune after the NCAA meet, where he twice jumped far enough to make the final, only to have the jumps called back after taking off just past the allowable board. He holds the fifth best jump in the nation in his indoor 16.99 meters and will aim to improve on his seeding despite a stress fracture in his foot. Senior Hasaan Reddick will join Wilson in Palo Alto and attempt to improve upon his seasonal best, a wind-aided 15.79 meters. \nIf any of these athletes finish in the top three in their event, they will earn a trip to the IAAF World Championships in Paris at the end of August.