From gothic to modern

Museum, Woodburn among the many beautiful buildings on campus

The striking natural landscape of IU houses a multitude of architectural styles, ranging from the early Italianate of Owen and Wylie Halls to the modern style of the IU Art Museum. \nThe museum, designed by I. M. Pei, was the third and current version of the Art Museum, completed in 1981. Between 1978 and 1981 Pei was particularly fascinated with pyramids and triangles; consequently an aerial view of the completed Art Museum reveals three triangles of varying sizes. The winding, main stairs were built at such an angle that while ascending them one has to concentrate to avoid walking into the wall. This was intentional on Pei's part; the curving stairs make people slow down and take in more of their surroundings. This technique is particularly effective in a museum setting. \nAcross the street from the Art Museum stands Woodburn Hall. \nThe Collegiate Gothic style of Woodburn is a stark contrast to the extremely modern Art Museum. Completed in 1940, Woodburn was the original School of Business Administration, later the School of Business and Economics and currently houses the department of Political Science. \nWhen the building was remodeled in 1980 some of the political science faculty worked with the architects from the Everett I. Brown Co. to create the new design. In a Jan. 12, 1980, article from the IDS, Alfred Diamant, the chairman of Political Science at the time, said Woodburn was a great match for the department. \n"For the first time we will have physical facilities that reflect our needs … if not, it will be our own fault," he said. \nPerhaps Diamant was satisfied with the results, but Gieryn said he believes these buildings no longer fulfill their purpose. \n"One of the most important parts of architecture is its functionality," he said. "Woodburn's classrooms are not sufficient for today's teachers and students."\nHowever, Woodburn's beautiful exterior seems to make up for its inadequate interior. The grand and scholarly appearance of the exterior makes it one of the most aesthetically appealing buildings on campus. \nJunior Halden Williams has great respect for Woodburn as well as the other old buildings on campus. \n"I just feel like that is what college is about, like walking through campus on a fall day with the leaves changing colors and grand buildings with traditions," he said. "You know thousands of students have passed before you, and you are this little part of a continuing IU history."\nIn close proximity to Woodburn lies the expansive Indiana Memorial Union, one of the largest student unions in the world. The IMU was founded in 1909 as a Men's Union and was first completed in 1932. The Union has had several additions since. \nThe buildings' arches and figurines and rosettes which decorate the exterior are signature of the Collegiate Gothic style in which it was designed, according to Rose McIlveen from the IU Home Pages Web Site.\nThe IMU is a home away from home for many students, especially just prior to finals week. The many quiet rooms with fireplaces and large chairs provide a perfect atmosphere for many students who do not find their dorms or houses conducive to studying. \nA short walk from the IMU is the School of Health, Physical Science and Recreation. This building was finished and dedicated in December of 1961. After the building was built a controversy arose about the symbols engraved on the sides of the building. Although they could be mistaken for swastikas, these markings are known as the Buddhist symbol for prosperity as well as a holy symbol for the Native Americans.\nThis small group of centrally located buildings gives only a brief display of the brilliant architecture on the IU campus. Each building tells a story: when it was built and why. From the ivy-covered walls of Woodburn to the modern display of the Art Musuem, the architecture of IU's buildings create the feel of IU's historic campus.