Adam Herbert announced as 17th IU president

Florida's 'think tank' director becomes the first black president

The IU board of trustees unanimously selected Adam W. Herbert as the 17th president of IU Thursday. Herbert will begin his term Aug. 1.\n"I accept this assignment with a great deal of enthusiasm for the Indiana University mission," Herbert said in the Musical Arts Center soon after his appointment. "I also accept in the belief that the next decade will offer unparalleled opportunities for the University to play an expanding role in shaping the future of Indiana and the nation."\nHerbert spent two decades with the State University System of Florida, the second-largest university system in the country, and acted as its sixth chancellor from Jan. 20, 1998, to March 2, 2001. In addition, Herbert is the founding director of The Florida Center for Public Policy and Leadership.\n"He brings an unqualified depth of experience and knowledge to this presidency," said trustees President Frederick Eichhorn. "He understands the importance of our complex research University, previously serving as the chancellor of a major system, and he knows how critical it is for Indiana University to help lead the state through a period of economic transformation."\nClick here for the IDS' online Presidential Edition feature.