A rubber for my kingdom

Since AIDS and the HIV virus became a mainstream issue and concern of American society, the question of sex education and condom distribution in our high schools has sparked controversy and debate. Teenagers must have availability to condoms if they're going to be sexually active, the liberal side asserts. The conservatives, on the other hand, declare that providing teens with condoms encourages sex. This is a tired argument, with both sides remaining adamant in their opinions. \nI have never really understood how promoting safe sex automatically equates to any sort of activity. If teens are going to have sex, they are just going to, so it might as well be safe. The added presence or availability of protection isn't going to make a student exclaim, "Condoms! WOW! Now I can have sex!"\nA recent study published in the June issue of the American Journal of Public Health showed that teens whose high schools have condoms available were not more likely to have sex. \n"Condom availability was not associated with greater sexual activity among adolescents but was associated with greater condom use among those who were already sexually active, a highly positive result," said Susan M. Blake of George Washington University School of Public Health and Health Services in the Journal.\nThe research took place in high schools throughout Massachusetts, where programs in condom education are endorsed. In most cases, students could obtain condoms from a school nurse or other staff members. Sexual behavior of approximately 4,000 students was compared, a quarter of whom had condom programs in their school. Half of the students, grades 9-12, reported they had sex, with 60 percent reporting they used a condom on the last occasion. The stigma, among more traditional parents and educators throughout school communities, that condom education and accessibility leads to a rise in sexual activity seems to be refuted. \n"The concerns of the small minority of parents who oppose providing condoms or related instruction in schools were not substantiated," Blake commented.\nSome results show that students who attended schools with condom programs were even less likely to have sex. \nSo what does all this mean? Obviously, talking about sex and familiarizing students with their responsibilities and risks of being sexually active is not a bad thing. For too long, conservative communities have lived under the assumption that if something isn't talked about, it won't happen. Actual discussion might plant ideas in little children's heads…\nIn this day and age, we cannot do that. We cannot take a passive approach at sexual health and education with today's risks. While many advances have been made in treating HIV/AIDS, it is still out there, and it is still a prominent concern. According to