Big Tens may be end of the road for seniors

All good things must come to an end. \nEveryone realizes this, but when it happens no one is prepared for it. \nSunday at the 2003 Big Ten Championships was possibly the last time seniors Aldo Jordan and captain Ben Davidson suited up for the IU men's golf team. \nWith the possibility of the Hoosiers receiving a NCAA regional tournament bid slim, the two were emotional as they thought about their time at IU.\n"I wish I can start again," Jordan said. "This is part of me for the rest of my life. It's not easy to let go."\nAnd with his performance this weekend, it was evident Jordan didn't want to let go. \nAfter the first round, he was tied for fourth on the leader board, with his sights set on a Big Ten Championship. But things didn't go as planned for Jordan, as he slowed down and shot an uncharacteristic six-over-par, 77 second round on Friday. \n"I struggled (Sunday)," Jordan said. "I had two bad shots and (it) cost me the whole round. This just proves that golf isn't a three, six or nine hole game. It's an entire round of 18. I started out playing real well, but I just lost confidence and stumbled from there."\nAs Jordan was waded through the emotions of a possible last collegiate round, so too was Davidson.\n"It's kind of frustrating ending like this," Davidson said. "We had high expectations."\nDavidson and Jordan, coach Mike Mayer's first two recruits, will be missed. But with the current and future talent, the competitiveness will go on, Mayer said.\n"It was an emotional farewell (Sunday)," he said. "I love them dearly, but we won't miss a beat."\nThe two played an important role on a young Hoosier team. Their experience became valuable as IU made a run toward the postseason. Davidson was a quiet captain, Mayer said, who had a strong mind and lead in other ways than verbalizing his thoughts. \nFor as steady as Davidson was though, Jordan was in and out of the line-up during the fall. \n"Aldo fought through a lot of adversity (this year)," Mayer said. "He could have bowed out gracefully, but he didn't. I don't have enough good things to say about Aldo Jordan."\nJordan and Davidson are hoping the team will get an opportunity to extend the season. But if not, the two will look back and know they were part of a team that turned itself around from the bottom of the Big Ten to a contender.\n"My time is done," Jordan said. "I'm going to treasure this for a long, long time"