Saturday, June 15

Second place for the second time

A week after sophomore Heath Peters won his first ever collegiate tournament, classmate Jeff Overton looked to repeat his teammates performance at the Marshall Invitational in Huntington, W. Va.\nHe came close -- very close in fact. \nTied for the top spot on the leaderboard after regulation, Overton, who shot a two-under-par 211 for the tournament, played a playoff hole against Kentucky's Matt Kohn and came up short for the outright victory.\n"It was fun finally tying for first," Overton said. \nSuccess for IU didn't stop at the individual level. \nThe Hoosiers finished tied for second with Kentucky, giving them a second place finish in back to back weeks. The University of Illinois won the tournament with a combined score of 851, 22 shots better than IU.\nTheir two second place finishes are the highest of the season, fall and spring combined, and is due to the hard work during the offseason said senior captain Ben Davidson, who tied for ninth with a two-over par 215. \n"We know we are on the verge of being a very good team," he said. "We want to reach our peak for the Big Ten (tournament)."\nThe weekend brought IU ideal conditions, with the weather being in the 70s on the first day with a light wind and sunny, and 60s and pretty windy on the second day. \nAlong with good weather, the course fit the Hoosiers' style of play. \n"The golf course was a little more suited to our game," Davidson said.\nIU's low finish was a team effort with the bottom half of the five man lineup shooting decent numbers.\nRounding out the lineup for the Hoosiers was senior Aldo Jordan, who tied for 27th, and shot a nine-over-par 222; freshman Scott Seibert who tied for 48th by shooting a 14-over-par 227; and Peters finished last for IU in 80th place with a 236, 23-under-par.\nWith the past success of the Hoosiers, the NCAA tournament is looking brighter by the weekend. In order to make the tournament, IU must place sixth or higher in its region. It's in eighth right now. To make that jump, it will have to bypass Kentucky, Purdue and Kent State, all of whom it will see this coming weekend at the Kepler Intercollegiate in Columbus, Ohio. And according to its captain, it can jump the two spaces needed by "basically doing the same thing we've been doing." \nWith that, comes the putting. \nIn Overton's first place finish, he had 24 putts in the first round. Last weekend, Peters had according to Overton, 25 or 26 putts. \n"It's all about the putting," Overton said. "If we make 80 percent of our putts, we will win every golf tournament"