Library's info lab to debut in fall

Undergraduate Information Commons will be open 24 hours

The Information Commons in the Main Library is on track to open this fall after a semester's worth of construction. The project, a joint effort between the IU Libraries and University Information Technology Services, will provide a centrally-located site where students and faculty can interact and have access to library and information technology resources at the same time. \nThe Commons, which will be located on the first floor of the Main Library's west tower, will cover 27,000 square feet and feature more than 250 state-of-the-art workstations for both individual and group work. \nIt will be open 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week. \nOther services, such as an adaptive technology center, writing tutorial services, wireless networking, a multimedia production lab and an IT support center, will also be part of the IC. IT training and education classes will also be offered.\nCharles Rondot, senior communications specialist at UITS, said the construction is on course and is expected to be completed by mid-summer.\n"We felt the need to integrate information technology with traditional library resources," Rondot said. "It's all about the students and getting them the tools they need to be successful."\nThe project, funded by IU Bloomington libraries and UITS, is estimated to cost $1.5 million. \nSue Workman, director of user support at UITS, said the construction will reflect technological changes in how students access all types of information. \n"We can see that libraries and the information students are accessing are changing," said Sue Workman, director of user support at UITS. "It just made sense to provide this kind of service."\nShe added that the services that had existed prior to construction were still being offered.\n"This is a combined service point," said Carolyn Walters, head of undergraduate library services. "So you can do research, write your paper and e-mail your instructor all from one place."\nWalters said the IC would have an UITS support center that would offer the same services as the Indiana Memorial Union support center. \nThe third and fifth floors of the undergraduate wing are also being refurbished, and the workstations will be upgraded. Three instruction clusters will be included.\nIU Bloomington's Main Library, which opened in 1969, hosts a network of 19 libraries on the Bloomington campus.\n"This is one of those exciting things IU's doing," Rondot said. "I think this is something that other universities in the Big Ten will look to IU as a model"