IU programs recognized

Report highlights University's internationalization efforts

IU's international programs received global recognition in a report released Wednesday.\nThe National Association of Foreign Student Affairs chose IU as one of six universities to profile for outstanding "campus internationalization."\nNAFSA chose IU from among 117 nominees after exploring all facets of IU's internationalism, including overseas studies programs, international students and international programs. \nThe organization plans on sharing the 21-page profile of IU with its 8,000 educators as a model international institute.\nThe report praises IU's East European languages program, coordination between the international programs and the College of Arts and Sciences and the study abroad program.\nThough NAFSA's recognition brings esteem to the University, Chris Viers, associate dean for international programs and director of the Office of International Services at IU, said the international acknowledgment doesn't surprise him. He knew the strength of IU's international programs before sending in the nomination.\nAt IU the overall internationalism has become woven within the University's fabric, Viers said. At other universities, there are large numbers of international students but not a focus on internationalizing the school, he added.\nViers has worked with international programs for 17 years.\n"It was really the rich history of the programs and overall internationalization that attracted me to the institution (IU)," Viers, who submitted the NAFSA nomination on behalf of the University, said.\nThe report credits former IU president Herman B Wells for the current international environment on campus and says current dean of international programs Patrick O'Meara is an "avatar" of internationalism. \nAccording to the report, the University has striven to create an international atmosphere in the midst of southern Indiana cornfields. \n"The campus of Indiana is not just in Bloomington, or even the state of Indiana; it encompasses the four corners of the world," Wells often said. \nIn 1958, IU began an area studies program with Russian and the East European Institute. Today, IU offers over 10 different area studies centers. The U.S. Department of Education has named five of them national resource centers. \nIU also offers over 40 languages, varying from Arabic to Zulu.\nKathleen Sideli, the associate director of the Office of Overseas Studies, said NAFSA's report is further affirmation of the solid reputation IU has around the world as far as the breadth of its international programs.\nEvery year, IU hosts over 4,000 international students while sending about 1,500 of its own students abroad. \n"Internationalism permeates IU in multiple levels, not just traditional study abroad programs and international students," Sideli said.\nAfter Sept. 11, some of the government's procedures made it more difficult for people to study overseas, Viers said. IU refused to allow policies to hinder its global tradition. Dedication from the highest levels of the University and the efforts of a devoted staff allowed IU to maintain its international commitment in the post-Sept. 11 world, he said. \n"I think our biggest challenge today is to advocate its (internationalism's) importance during a time in which world events cause some to move forward cautiously," Viers said. \nLast year, the American Council on Education recognized IU for similar international efforts, focusing more on the University's curriculum. \nDespite the continuous praise, some, like Sideli, see the need for improvement in IU's international programs. \n"There is strong support on this campus to increase opportunities for students to go abroad," she said. "But there needs to be more resources, more scholarships, more programs, more staffing, in order to give more students access."\nThis summer IU's international tradition continues. It will offer Pashto, a language spoken in northern Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan. No American university has ever taught Pashto.