Field opens after repairs

Woodlawn undergoes 5-month makeover, some still unhappy

For recreation sports players it's been hard to find a place to play for the past five months. Possibly the most popular place on campus for students to run and practice sports, Woodlawn Field, has undergone a makeover the University says was well overdue.\nThe University has made repairs such as aerating, fertilizing and resurfacing the track that surrounds Woodlawn Field, to improve the field that is used by the city and University, said Jackie Puterbaugh, associate director of the Division of Recreational Sports. Puterbaugh has worked at IU for 17 years and said this is the first time she has seen the field closed for repairs. So far the repairs have cost IU $1.2 million.\nHosting concerts, parking cars and the constant wear and tear has caused Woodlawn Field to be filled with ruts, runoff, slopes and hard ground. \nThree years ago, IU noticed the field was suffering from runoffs and slopes. \n"There was no down time to allow grass to get root growth," Puterbaugh said. \nAfter evaluating the field, the University proposed plans to do a full makeover of the field and surrounding track. At the time the plan was proposed there was not enough funding to pursue the plan. So the field continued to deteriorate until last November.\nIn November, the University closed the field and began repairs. Grounds employees have been working to repair the field since.\n"IU has aerated, brought in top soil and seeded the field," Puterbaugh said. \nIn the northwest corner crews have been working to repair piping that had been laid down for the Business School's new addition. Boulders and rocks have been removed and the man hole and drains have been covered. Gravel has been spread on the track and leveled. \nDespite the new repairs, students have been upset with the sudden close of the field.\nSenior Ti-Patrice Lavers used the field frequently before it was closed. She was forced to find another field to play her pick-up league soccer.\n"Finally," Lavers said about the re-opening of the field. "It's nicer and feels soft," she said.\nAlthough she's happy with the reopening, she still has her doubts.\n"It looks better now, but after a month we'll see."\nEven with the new improvements Woodlawn Field is still not finished. IU has checked prices on adding new irrigation systems, Puterbaugh said. The field also needs more top soil and added work on the man holes and drainage. Puterbaugh said she is not sure when the field will be completely finished. The field will need to be shut down during the year to cut down on wear and tear. In order to keep the field at its improved state, the University will implement regular down time during the year.\n"The University closes the field with bad weather," Puterbaugh said, in order to keep the field from suffering from runoffs and slopes and taking the field back to its deteriorated state.\nThe field might face closing and regular maintenance throughout the coming years, but students' main focus is the fact the field is once again open to use.\nSenior Megan Sulok said she is happy the field has been updated, but she's still skeptical. \n"It might be better because it has not been used," Sulok said. "I just wish I could have played on it when they weren't doing work on it"