Artistic creations transcend barriers

Group entertains patients at IUB center

A week and a half after its annual spring dance concert, the African-American Dance Company is still dancing and performing. The dancers went to the Stone Belt Center Tuesday afternoon to dance for patients. Stone Belt is a center for mentally and physically challenged individuals, located on the IUB campus. Professor Iris Rosa, the director of the dance company, journeys to Stone Belt every year and has done so for the last decade\n"This is a way to use the gift of dance, which crosses all communication barriers, in order to bring happiness and joy to those who may not be able to communicate clearly," said Monique Guyinn, a senior in the company. "It also brings a sense of fulfillment to the dancers that we don't get anywhere else."\nThe faces of the crowd lit up when Rosa approached the microphone to introduce the dance company. She explained the types of dances the company would be doing while the audience anxiously awaited the start of the show. Rosa said she feels it is important to explain what the dancers will be doing at events such as this because dances aren't simply dances but artistic creations with meaning behind them.\n"Dancers are educators, we are here to educate the community," said Rosa.\nThe performers presented some of the dances from its recent spring concert, including some of the collaboration pieces the dancers choreographed themselves. \nLori Madl, assistant instructor for the African-American dance company, presented her solo. Later the dancers came together for the last piece, "Storms." When the dancers finished the show, the music for their jazz piece came on as the performers pulled members of the audience up to the dance floor and encouraged them to let loose and dance with the company.\n"It's community service for the dance company," said Clifton Davis, Jr., a senior in the company. "We feel that just because these people aren't considered by some to be "normal" that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be given opportunities like this."\nWhen the dancing was over, the audience began to leave the room, some still dancing -- even though there was no music. \nAs the crowd members dispersed into the hallways, they walked by, touching the dancers, praising them for their performance and imploring them to come back. \n"This is such a highlight for us," Rosa said.\n"It is a way for us to let go of everything else and just be in the moment. It has become sort of a spring ritual for us and we really appreciate it," said Leslie Green, director of the Stone Belt Center.\nSince the show was in the middle of the day, some of the dancers had to miss classes but they say that it is worth making the people that they come to dance for smile. Even though the shows are over, the dancers continue to practice perfecting themselves for the coming year. \n"It's a really good feeling when you know that you have done something good and that you have left them happy and excited," Davis said.