Team heads into Big Ten on a roll

For the first time in a month, the Hoosiers are .500 as they stole both games in the softball doubleheader Wednesday by beating Indiana State 6-4 in nine innings in game one and 15-9 in eight innings in game two. \nIn the first game of the twin bill, junior Kristine Dugan's two-run home run in the top of the ninth powered the Hoosiers over Indiana State 6-4, moving the squad one game closer to the .500 mark. \nJunior Valerie White led the balanced attack with three hits and one run scored, while six different Hoosiers scored at least one run. Senior Katie Joy was two for three, drawing two walks while eight different Hoosiers recorded at least one hit. \nAfter Indiana State scored its four runs in the bottom of the second, IU scored six unanswered runs, including three runs in the fifth. The Hoosiers scattered 11 hits while committing two errors. Sophomore Katie Witham picked up her third win of the season as she allowed only seven hits in five and one-third innings. \nFreshman Megan Roark continued the shutdown of Sycamore hitters, as she relieved Witham going three and two-thirds innings allowing two hits while striking out five. \nIndiana State was led by junior Sarah Kothe who had three of the nine Sycamore hits. The loss drops ISU's record to 6-14 on the season. \nIn the second game, the Hoosiers and Sycamores battled into extra innings once again, and this time the Hoosiers scored eight runs in the top of the eighth and won by a final 15-9. IU pushed its record to 12-12 and head into the Big Ten season having won five of the last seven. \nOnce again IU used a balanced attack, out-hitting ISU 15-11, while nine different Hoosiers had at least one hit. Junior Abby Stark was three for five scoring two runs, while freshman Lauren Hines was also three for five scoring three times and knocking in four. \nIU heads to Columbus, Ohio, to begin Big Ten play against the Buckeyes, Friday.