Coach goes for 1,000th win today

Victory over Saginaw Valley State sets up chance for coaching milestone

IU coach Bob Morgan nabbed win 999 of his career on Tuesday as his Hoosiers continued their early season success with a 4-3 comeback win over Saginaw Valley State at soggy Sembower Field.\nSophomore Corby Heckman double plated senior outfielder Mark Calkins in the bottom of the ninth to give IU the victory. Earlier in the inning, it was Calkins who tied the game at three with an RBI double of his own. \nHeckman has begun the 2003 season on an absolute tear. He was batting .396 coming into the game and then proceeded to go 3-5 with two RBIs including the game-winner.\n"The pitcher was up 0-2 and he hung a slider," Heckman said. "I was looking for it and I got lucky."\nFreshman Josh Lewis pitched adequately in his first start as a Hoosier. The Mt. Airy, Md. native went four innings, giving up three runs on five hits. Lewis walked one and struck out three.\nJunior Cody Wargo caught Lewis and said he had a good outing. \n"(Lewis) threw well. He just had one bad ball that got taken out," Wargo said. "Most of his pitches were right around the strike-zone."\nThe molehill grew into a mountain for the Hoosiers when a breaking ball that didn't break was belted over the right field wall by Cardinal outfielder Mike Crawford in the fourth inning. Crawford's longball gave Saginaw Valley a 3-1 lead that held until the eighth when the IU comeback began.\nHeckman reached on an error to begin the eighth. Senior Vasili Spanos then smacked a double off the wall in right to score Heckman and make the score 3-2.\nThe win went to senior closer Ryan Smith (3-0) and the loss was pegged on Joe Kramer (1-1) who gave up two runs in the ninth. \nMorgan said he was happy with the win, but concerned about his club's lack of situational hitting.\nThe Hoosiers had runners on second and third with no outs in the fifth and came up empty and then left the bases loaded in the sixth. Overall, IU left 10 runners stranded. \n"It was good to come back and get the win, but we've had some situations that we are just not doing the job in," Morgan said. "We need to move people and score people when we have the chance and it almost bit us in the foot today."\nMorgan goes for his 1,000th career victory against Wright State today at Sembower field, but he is humble about his accolades. \n"It just means I have had great players because players win games, not coaches," Morgan said. "But it would be nice to be in that upper echelon of college coaches."\nMorgan currently ranks 20th with a .662 career winning percentage and if IU wins today he will join a group of just 11 active Division I coaches to have posted 1,000 career victories. \nTo get the victory, IU will have to edge a Wright State squad that is just 4-11 on the year. It will be the Hoosiers' final tune-up before heading into conference play this weekend with a road series against Illinois. \n"It was good to get this game in and get a victory," Wargo said. "We are definitely ready to get into Big Ten play"