Swimmers prepared for final tune-up before Big Tens

The IU men's swimming and diving team (6-1, 5-1 Big Ten) will compete in its last two dual meets of the season this weekend before heading into the Big Ten and NCAA championships. \nThe seniors will swim their last dual meet at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center when they host Kentucky at 5 p.m. today. They will then travel to Boilermaker country to compete against No.18 Purdue 2 p.m. tomorrow. \nFirst year coach Ray Looze said both meets will be close and competitive. The Hoosiers defeated both the Wildcats and Boilermakers last year in dual meet action. But Looze said he believes Kentucky and Purdue will both pose challenges to the Hoosiers this year.\n"We certainly can win. We just need to get hot," Looze said. "I don't think we've had our best meet yet. If we pull it all together and give it a complete shot, then we could win." \nLooze said Kentucky is favored to win going into the meet based on the times that have been put up by both teams at this point in the season. He said the Wildcats will be tough because they have the depth on their team that the Hoosiers lack, and they also have a top backstroker, 200 yardfreestyler and diver. But Looze said he believes the Wildcat sprinters are equal to IU's which will create some stiff competition in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle events and the 200-yard free relay.\nLooze said his team has been preparing for both meets by tapering, fine-tuning fundamentals and resting. Looze said he believes his team will have their work cut out for them when they face Purdue. Not only is it the last dual meet of the season but also the biggest rival meet of the season. Part of the challenge that lies ahead for the Hoosiers this weekend will be traveling to Purdue in between the two meets. The Boilermakers do not edge out the Hoosiers much in depth but do have better top swimmers. \n"They're both going to be really close meets," junior Mike Payne said. "In comparison to our teams they are both similar, so it's going to be tough, but I think we can pull it out."\nDiving coach Jeff Huber said this weekend will be a good contest for both swimming and diving. Huber said his divers have been preparing to perform well against Kentucky and Purdue by rehearsing their dives in practice. Huber said Purdue should have good competition from a couple guys if they are healthy, but he said the bigger challenge will be posed by the Wildcats. Junior All-American Marc Carlton will get to compete head-on in both the one-meter and three-meter with Kentucky's senior All-American Clayton Moss. \n"I think all of our guys are starting to look a lot better," Huber said. "But Carlton is really starting to come into his own." \nHuber said he has been pleased with the way his divers have been performing on the three and ten-meter, but said that the one-meter still needs work before they head into championship season later this month. Huber said he is hoping this weekend will give the divers another chance to work on their one-meter.