Send love, give to cause

Valentine's Day is right around the corner, and you have yet to find creative gifts for your friends or sweetheart. Rather than messing up again by giving them a Quick Chop, you could get it right this time -- and support a good cause while you're at it.\nSeveral Bloomington non-profit organizations sell specialty Valentine's Day gifts to raise funds. From gigantic bear hugs and flower-shaped, butter cookies to chocolate truffles and First Aid gift certificates, presents for the sweetest day can assist health-related programs. \nA hug filled with surprises can be sent to loved ones. But this is no ordinary hug -- this one comes from a 5-foot-10 teddy bear.\nFor Valentine's Day, Mary Hinrichs, director of the Monroe County branch of the Mental Health Association in Indiana, slips into a furry bear costume and visits nursing homes, workplaces and homes. Through the association's Send-A-Hug program, Hinrichs surprises county residents with a stuffed teddy bear, chocolates and a personal message from the sender.\nSometimes, she has to persuade the recipient that the gift is for real.\nLast year during the first Send-A-Hug fund-raiser, Hinrichs hugged a teacher at Lakeview Elementary School in Bloomington at the request of the teacher's husband and three kids. The teacher kept re-reading the note and saying her family couldn't have thought of something like this, Hinrichs recalled. She insisted on knowing who the real senders were, but Hinrichs kept pointing to the note. \n"I finally had to whisper to her that they really did send it," Hinrichs said. "She was shocked, and tears filled her eyes."\nFor $25, the giant bear shows up with the same presents, but minus the tears. A businessman from nearby Lawrence County sent hugs last year to 20 of his employees, Hinrichs said. \n"He is a great supporter of Monroe County human-service agencies," she said. "He was the reason why our fund-raiser was such a success."\nLast year, the fund-raiser raked in about $500, but Hinrichs also gave out free hugs at nursing homes. \n"I give everybody that sees me a good mental health day," she said. "It brings lots of joy and I love it."\nAlthough no IU students bought bear hugs last year, Hinrichs has a visit to the University planned for next week. A student has ordered a bear hug for his mom, which she will receive at her campus office. \nBear hugs can be ordered until Wednesday, and only about 30 locations can be visited each day Thursday and Friday. Proceeds will go toward programs that benefit those with mental health needs and educate others about mental illness. \nTo support abused women, people can buy cookie bouquets from Middle Way House, a shelter for battered women in Bloomington.\nThe shelter's third annual fund-raiser for Valentine's Day offers three edible garlands: heart-shaped, linzer cookies for $30, flower-shaped, butter cookies for $20 or mixed bouquets for $25. Each bouquet is a baker's dozen, containing an extra leaf-shaped cookie, said Toby Strout, Middleway House executive director. \nDeadline for orders is Monday. Funds will support programs that help battered women re-enter the workforce and remain out of abusive relationships. \nFor a more educational Valentine's Day gift, the Monroe County chapter of the American Red Cross sells gift certificates for $15 to $50 for classes that teach about health services such as CPR and First Aid. The certificates are offered year round, but they're promoted as unique Valentine's Day presents. \n"Knowing the skills and how to respond could save a life," chapter director Carol Bentley said. "It doesn't get much better than that"